AUBURN, N.Y. (Aug. 28, 2014) — THE CITY OF AUBURN AND ITS COMMUNITY PARTNERS TO PARTICIPATE IN NATIONAL PREPAREDNESS MONTH IN SEPTEMBER; ENCOURAGE THE PUBLIC TO ATTEND AUBURN PREPAREDNESS DAY.
Who: Auburn City & Partners has committed to participate in National Preparedness Month by holding “Auburn Preparedness Day” on September 6, 2014.
What: September is National Preparedness Month (NPM), founded after 9/11 to increase preparedness in the US, a fitting time to join the effort to help our community prepare for an emergency. Preparedness is a shared responsibility; it takes a whole community. Sponsored by the Ready Campaign and Citizen Corps, this year’s National Preparedness Month will focus on the strengthening our communities through public events and online communities.Preparedness events and information can be found on http://community.fema.gov/connect.ti/READTNPM
As Part of the local National Preparedness Month activities, Auburn City & Partners will host a Preparedness Day with a display of our local responders and those we rely on during emergencies with informational material available.
• FREE home preparedness kits, donated by a grant from LOWES, will be available on a limited basis – first come first serve
• A BIG vehicle show will be there for the enjoyment of our little population
• Low cost refreshments will be served by the Red Cross
Theme: "Be Disaster Aware, Take Action to Prepare"
When: Saturday, September 6, 2014, 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Rain date: Saturday, September 13, 2014
Where: LOWES Home Improvement Warehouse, Grant Ave. Auburn, NY
Why: Emergencies can happen anytime and anywhere without notice. Households, businesses and organizations should be prepared in the event of an emergency that causes them to be self-reliant for three days without utilities, electricity or water, without access to food or local services or maybe even without response from emergency personnel.
Preparing can start with four important steps:
• Be informed about emergencies that could happen
• Identify sources of information in your community that will be helpful before, during and after an emergency.
• Make a plan for what to do in an emergency.
• Build an emergency supply kit
Auburn City & Partners encourages our community to be better prepared and invites community members to join us in this effort.
For more information contact:
Pamela Baker Gratton, Manager, American Red Cross of Cayuga County at 315-243-9596