SYRACUSE, N.Y. (May 3, 2015) — The shelter opened by the American Red Cross of Central New York for tenants who were displaced from their homes by a fire Saturday at an apartment building on Court Street in Syracuse will remain open until noon Monday, the Red Cross announced tonight.
Six adult tenants stayed at the shelter Saturday night, and at least seven adults are expected to stay Sunday night. The shelter is at St. Lucy’s Church on Gifford Street in Syracuse, and Red Cross volunteers are providing the tenants with food, drinks, cots, blankets, personal hygiene items and counseling, if requested. An adult male died in the fire.
The Red Cross will close the shelter Monday because all of the tenants who requested temporary lodging have found more permanent lodging starting Monday night. Even after the shelter is closed, Red Cross volunteers will remain available to the tenants for support, counseling and referrals to local agencies that will provide long-term assistance during their recovery.
On Sunday afternoon, Red Cross volunteers responded to a house fire on Naylor Circle in Van Buren (Onondaga County) that that claimed the life of an infant girl. The family has so far declined assistance, but Red Cross volunteers will remain available to the family if it requests help of any kind.
TWO LIFESAVING STEPS
The American Red Cross has launched an initiative to reduce the number of deaths and injuries caused by home fires by 25 percent over the next five years. The Red Cross is asking every household in America to take two simple steps: check existing smoke alarms and practice fire drills at home.
As part of the Home Fire Campaign, the Red Cross is joining with fire departments and community groups nationwide to install free smoke detectors in homes that need them. For more information or to schedule an installation, please contact the American Red Cross of Central New York at 315-234-2299 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.