[PHILADLEPHIA, PA] – Due to tonight’s impending winter weather, and the American Red Cross Southeastern Pennsylvania urges residents to take steps now to stay safe. Temperatures are expected to be extremely over the next few days. The Red Cross is watching the storm and is prepared to respond if necessary. The Red Cross will also continue to respond to local disasters such as home fires as needed.
As with any disaster, preparation can be the difference between life and death. Here are some steps to help folks stay safe during this winter storm and cold weather:
· Wear layers of lightweight clothing to stay warm. Gloves and a hat will help prevent losing body heat.
· After the storm, be extremely careful if you have to shovel snow. It is physically strenuous work, so take frequent breaks and stay hydrated.
· Seek medical attention immediately if you have symptoms of hypothermia, including confusion, dizziness, exhaustion and severe shivering.
· Watch for symptoms of frostbite, including numbness, flushed gray, white, blue or yellow skin discoloration, numbness, or waxy feeling skin.
· Don’t forget your pets – bring them indoors.
· Avoid frozen pipes - run water, even at a trickle, to help prevent them from freezing. Open the kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. Keep the garage doors closed if there are water lines in the garage.
· Keep the thermostat at the same temperature day and night. Your heating bill may be a little higher, but you could avoid a more costly repair job if your pipes freeze and burst.
· Download the American Red Cross First Aid App for quick, expert advice on what to do in case of an emergency. This free app is available on the Apple iTunes or Google Play stores. See all Red Cross apps at redcross.org/mobileapps.
SPACE HEATERS, FIREPLACES AND GENERATORS
Heating systems are running at full force and many people are resorting to other sources to keep their homes warm. To avoid fire danger, you should remember the following:
· Never use a stove or oven to heat your home.
· If you are using a space heater, place it on a level, hard surface and keep anything flammable at least three feet away – things such as paper, clothing, bedding, curtains or rugs. Turn off space heaters and make sure fireplace embers are out before leaving the room or going to bed.
· If you are using a fireplace, use a glass or metal fire screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs.
· Use generators correctly – never operate a generator inside the home, including in the basement or garage.
· Don’t hook a generator up to the home’s wiring. The safest thing to do is to connect the equipment you want to power directly to the outlets on the generator.
About the American Red Cross Southeastern Pennsylvania:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org and redcrossphilly.org and follow us on Twitter at @RedCross and @redcrossphilly.