SAN FRANCISCO, CA (December 18, 2012) — While people in the Bay Area are getting ready for the Holiday Season, the American Red Cross Bay Area and Silicon Valley Chapters are providing these tips to ensure a safe and happy holiday for all.
1. Prepare your car. Build an emergency kit and include blankets or sleeping bags, jumper cables, a fire extinguisher, compass and road maps, shovel, tire repair kit and pump, extra clothing, flares, and a tow rope.
2. Drive safely. Tell family and friends your destination, travel route and approximate arrival time. Check your tires’ air pressure and fill the windshield fluid. Avoid distractions such as using your cell phone while driving. Use AAA’s free Tipsy Tow if you need a ride home on Christmas Eve or New Year’s Eve.
3. Stay healthy. Stay home if you are sick and avoid spreading germs by washing your hands with soap and water, or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing.
4. Keep your home fire safe. If you are leaving the kitchen, turn off the stove. Never use a stove or oven to heat your home. Monitor portable heaters and fireplaces and install smoke alarms. Clean your furnace. Make sure furniture isn’t blocking heat vents. Close off rooms you’re not using and turn off the heat in those rooms.
5. Learn CPR. We recommend at least one person in every household should take first aid and CPR/AED training. Visit www.redcross.org/training for details and to register.
6. Download life-saving mobile apps.
Downloading the American Red Cross First Aid App allows users to have information on what to do in emergencies when and where they need it. A variety of mobile apps are available at redcross.org/mobileapps.
Media Contact: Elizabeth Shemaria, firstname.lastname@example.org, 415 940-3392
24 hour media hotline: email@example.com, 831 600-4988