September is National Preparedness Month. Check out this calendar of community preparedness events in Colorado.
Please note: this is a community calendar and not all events are sponsored by or endorsed by the Red Cross, nor is this a comprehensive list of all events statewide.
What’s Your Game Plan?
Safeguard yourself and the people you care about by taking a few easy actions every week in September to be better prepared for disasters and emergencies. When lives are at stake, every moment matters – and having a plan ahead of time can save lives, reduce losses and help you recover faster.
Participate during National Preparedness Month, and you could win a Red Cross crank and solar-powered emergency radio and flash light!
1. Download the “What’s Your Game Plan?” checklist. Think of it as a scavenger hunt to find your way to preparedness!
2. Complete at least one item on the check list per week –ideally you’ll check off all of them.
3. Take a picture of yourself with showing what you did to be more prepared. You can download and print out our fun Game Plan Whiteboards to help share your success!
4. Upload your photos to Twitter (use #GamePlan) or post them on our wall at www.facebook.com/redcrossdenver and tag yourself.
5. The week of Sept. 29, PRACTICE YOUR PLAN! Practice evacuating to one of your emergency meet-up points and check-in on social media. Use the hashtag #GamePlan and post a pic.
On Oct. 1, we will randomly draw four winners from among those who posted their Game Plan activities on Facebook or Twitter. You can also enter in the drawing by emailing your photos to email@example.com.*
The winners will each receive an Eton MicrolinkFR160 Safety Preparedness Radio that can be powered by crank or by solar power and includes a built-in USB cell-phone charger.
Disasters strike suddenly and often without warning. If you don’t already have a plan, you may not have time to make one. Think about:
Each week in September, take a few specific actions to increase your level of preparedness.
*Contest runs Sept. 1-30,2013. Participants can enter to win one of four emergency radios by posting a photo or text describing their preparedness activities to either (a) Twitter, using #GamePlan (b) the Red Cross Mile High Chapter Facebook page at www.facebook.com/redcrossdenver or (c) by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. On Oct. 1, the Red Cross will perform a random drawing from among the names of those who submitted their preparedness activities. Winner will be contacted and must either provide a mailing address for the radio to be shipped to or must come in person during business hours to 444 Sherman St., Denver, CO, by Oct. 31 to claim their prize.