The American Red Cross Midway-Kansas Chapter has opened the nomination process for the third annual Wichita Heroes Breakfast, an event that raised more than $20,000 last year. Through Oct. 5, south-central Kansans are encouraged to visit www.WichitaHeroesBreakfast.org and share their story of ordinary people performing extraordinary acts.
“This event will recognize our community’s unsung heroes,” said Bev Morlan, executive director for the American Red Cross Midway-Kansas Chapter. “It’s going to be a tremendous honor to recognize these selfless, community-first individuals.”
The heroes will be honored on Dec. 12 at the Heroes Breakfast located at the Wichita Marriott Hotel. At the event, the heroes and their guests will be honored in front of an audience of approximately 400 community leaders and supporters. Everyone will be treated to breakfast and will enjoy heartfelt videos produced by Intake Studios. People are eligible for one of nine unique Hero categories:
• BKD Community Hero - Presented to an individual who displayed leadership and commitment to his or her community by making a positive and significant impact
• NuStar Energy, L.P. Disaster Relief Hero - Presented to an individual who acted above and beyond the call of duty in response to disaster relief efforts.
• AEI LLC EMS Hero - Presented to an individual who, during a crisis, helped respond to an emergency or provided medical assistance including CPR and/or first aid to a person in need.
• Emprise Bank Firefighter Hero - Presented to a firefighter who, in performing his or her job, acted above and beyond the call of duty.
• iSi Environmental Give Life Hero - Presented to an individual whose commitment to blood and platelet donation played a significant role in ensuring the health of patients in our communities and throughout the country.
• Spirit AeroSystems Good Samaritan Hero - Presented to an outstanding individual who displayed courage and care upon encountering an unusual, significant or unexpected incident.
• INTRUST Bank Law Enforcement Hero - Presented to a law enforcement officer who, in performing his or her job, acted above and beyond the call of duty.
• Capitol Federal Military Hero - Presented to an active, reserve or retired member of the Armed Forces or ROTC who acted above and beyond the call of duty.
• Metro Xpress Youth Good Samaritan Hero - Presented to an outstanding young person who displayed courage and care upon encountering an unusual, significant or unexpected incident.
“Heroes Breakfast will recognize a wide variety of individuals who have done amazing things,” Morlan said. “This is a great opportunity to truly thank someone for the difference they’ve made.”
To honor someone, the nominee must live or work in the greater Wichita metro area. To submit a nomination, visit www.WichitaHeroesBreakfast.org. Nomination forms are also available by request by calling (316) 219-4088. Self nominations are not permitted.
About the American Red Cross Midway-Kansas Chapter:
Founded in 1915, the Midway-Kansas Chapter prevents, prepares for and responds to emergencies in south-central Kansas. It provides its community with Disaster Response and Planning, Services to Armed Forces, CPR and First Aid Training, Emergency Financial Assistance, Senior Medical Transportation and the Good Neighbor Nutrition Program. In the past year alone, the Midway-Kansas Chapter helped more than 80,000 people. For more information on how you can change a life, starting with your own, call (316) 219-4000 or visit midwaykansas.redcross.org.