The Independence Day Holiday is just around the corner and many Southern California residents will enjoy fireworks or fire up the grill for a backyard barbecue. While this is a great time of the year, it’s important to remember to stay safe while enjoying the holiday.
Here are a few tips from the American Red Cross to keep this holiday safe and fun-filled:
Make sure that exposed skin is covered with an appropriate sun block before heading out to the parade, family picnic or other outdoor activity.
Try to keep a layer of at least SPF 15 sunscreen on throughout the day and try to stay out of direct sunlight between 10am and 4pm.
Drink plenty of water and avoid dehydration by avoiding alcoholic or caffeinated drinks.
Keep small children a safe distance from hot barbecue grills and outdoor fireplaces.
Always watch the barbecue grill when in use.
Never grill indoors – not in a house, camper, tent or any enclosed area.
Make sure children and pets stay away from the grill.
Keep the grill out in the open, away from the house, the deck, tree branches or anything that could catch fire.
Never add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been ignited.
Remember that fireworks are illegal in most parts of Los Angeles County so be sure to attend a professional fireworks display instead of creating your own. These are often more fun and exciting than your backyard!
If you are in an area that allows “safe and sane” fireworks, remember to never let children hold lit fireworks. Even sparklers can be dangerous for young children.
First Aid for Burns:
Stop the burning. Put out the flames or remove the victim from the source of the burn. For example, you may have to put out flames that have caught on to clothing.
Cool the burn. Use large amounts of cool water (not ice!) to cool the burned area. You can use available water sources like hoses or showers, or apply soaked towels, sheets or other wet cloths to a burned face or other areas that cannot be immersed. Be sure to keep cloths cool by adding more water.
Cover the burn with dry, sterile dressings or a clean cloth to loosely bandage and cover a burn. Covering the burn helps keep air out, reduces pain, and prevents infection. If the burn covers a large area of the body, cover it with clean, dry sheets or other cloth.
For minor burns and burns with open blisters that do not require medical care, keep the area clean with soap and water. Put on an antibiotic ointment (available from any drug store) and watch for signs of infection.
Call 9-1-1 for critical burns such as if a burn victim is having difficulty breathing; more than one part of the body is burned; burns are on the head, neck, hands, feet or genitals; a child or an elderly person has been burned; or chemicals, electricity or explosions have caused burns.