connect with community organizations, businesses, and schools to inform them about
chapter services and provide disaster preparedness education.
Whether keynoting a dinner or attending a community fair, our volunteers are grateful
for the opportunity to share their experiences and our vision of becoming America’s
Most Prepared Community. Speaker presentations may be customized to be presented
in English or Spanish to meet the needs of your organization or audience.
The following are some creative ways that our chapter reaches out to the San Diego
and Imperial communities to deliver quality disaster preparedness education:
- Refugees: San Diego County has a large refugee population including Vietnamese, Somali, Sudanese, Burmese, and Chaldean communities. We have partnered with Somali Family Services, Chaldean Social Services and International Rescue Committee to provide disaster preparedness education to their clients.
- Latino Outreach: Our outreach partners within the Latino community include Community Housing Works, National Latino Research Center, Vista Community Clinic, North County Interfaith Services, and the Chula Vista Community Collaborative. American Red Cross has trained bilingual speakers called “Promotoras” to give presentations and staff events in the northern and southern areas of the county. In addition, we have partnered with the American Diabetes Association for their annual "Fiesta de Salud" health fair in National City; worked with Border Angels to educate migrant farm workers about disaster preparedness; hosted booths at community events in the Barrio Logan area such as Fiesta del Sol, hosted by Justice Overcoming Boundaries; and participated at health fairs in Chicano Park. We have co-sponsored SAY San Diego’s “Dia de los Muertos” and “Cinco de Mayo” celebrations in City Heights.
- Senior Citizens: We’ve given Community Disaster Education presentations through partnerships with AARP, Catholic Charities, Elder Help, Jewish Family Services, the Salvation Army, the San Diego Center for the Blind, ECAN, NORCAN, and the Gary and Mary West Wellness Senior Center.
- Community Organizations: We have attended community events and delivered presentations at local YMCAs, Kiwanis Clubs, the San Diego Lesbian and Gay Men's Community Center, and Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center.
- Community Events: North Park Toyland Parade, Holtville Carrot Festival, San Diego Pride Parade, St. Patrick’s Festival, La Mesa Oktoberfest, MLK Day of Service Neighborhood Fire Prevention canvassing, Balboa Park Earth Day Fair, and Woofstock are just a few of the examples.
- Places of Worship: Temple Emanu-El, Encanto Baptist Church, Islamic Center of San Diego, North Park Apostolic Church, and St. Jude Shrine of the West Catholic Church.
Presentations for groups of thirty or more can be conducted at your site. Maximum class size is five hundred. If you would like to request an American Red Cross representative to attend your event or deliver a presentation, please contact our Community Outreach Coordinator, Ricardo Moran, at Ricardo.Moran@sdarc.org.
Please submit your request a minimum of three weeks in advance and we will do our best to accomodate your request. Thank you for supporting your local American Red Cross.