Certified Nurse Assistant

  • Red Cross nurse listening to smiling baby's heartbeat

Certified Nurse Assistants

The 171 hour American Red Cross Nurse Assistant Training course trains students to provide quality care to residents in nursing homes. Upon successful completion of the course students will qualify to take the State Competency Test to be a Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA). The course prepares students to seek employment in various health care settings, including skilled nursing facilities, hospice care, board and care/ retirement facilities, rehabilitation hospitals, psychiatric hospitals, and day care facilities for the elderly.

During the training, students learn numerous skills, including: taking and recording the patient’s blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate, and respirations; assisting with the activities of daily living, including bathing and hygiene, using the toilet, and exercise; applying safe and correct techniques to assist patients with moving, walking, and positioning; recording vital information on appropriate medical forms and bedside charts, and responding properly to emergencies.

Competency Evaluation Program

The American Red Cross is proud to offer our Nurse Assistant Competency Evaluation Program (CEP) to test nurse assistant candidates for certification. We have been designated as a testing agent by the California Department of Public Health Services and have been testing since April 8, 1992.

In the past sixteen (16) years, over 200, 000 nurse assistant candidates have tested with us and received their state certification to practice as Certified Nurse Assistants.

Those in need of renewal licensing that have expired or in the process of expiring, may contact the Department of Health Services to obtain the application to test

Who can test?

You can register to test if you meet one of the following qualifications:
  • Successfully completed a state-approved Nurse Assistant Training program.
  • Are currently enrolled in an RN, LVN, or Psychiatric Technician Program with proper paperwork from Department of Health Services.
  • Are a foreign trained or is a Nurse Assistant in another State or country with proper paperwork from the Department of Health Services.
  • If you have let your certification expire and would like to take the test, you'll need to get authorization from the Department of Health Services before registering for a test. Please contact them at the number listed below.
For more information on obtaining the proper paperwork please contact the Department of Health Services at (916) 327-2445 or visit their website www.dhs.ca.gov. For Test locations and dates, please call 1-800-627-7000.