Youth and Young Adult Services is proud to introduce the 2014 Summer Interns. The 2014 class includes 34 college and high school students that will be serving the Los Angeles Region for 8 weeks. The pool of applicants was the most competitive quality the program has ever seen, and the selected students hail from schools including UCLA, USC, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, and Miami University among others. They will be working in various offices throughout the region, so feel free to introduce yourself! They have graciously chosen to dedicate their Summer to the Red Cross.
Please join us in welcoming our new volunteer staff to the Red Cross family!
The Summer Internship was kicked off on June 15th. We welcomed 55 Summer interns, hailing from 11 high schools, 2 graduate schools, and 27 other universities.
Our 2015 class brings interns from all over the US, including students from Princeton, Brown, NYU, UPenn, Tulane (New Orleans), Southern Methodist University, Roosevelt University, USC, UCLA, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara, UC Santa Cruz, and UC Riverside. More information below.
- Internships application are now available online
- All Internship applications due
- Notification of acceptance/wait-list
- Intern Contracts Due
- First day of Program; Intern Orientation
- Intern Orientation Training (CPR, First Aid; PrepareU presentation)
- Mandatory mid-program check-in meeting
- Final day of program; Internship Graduation with Interns & Supervisors
The Summer Internship Program is a nine week program held between the months of June-August. Specific dates of the program are based on school calendars in the given year.
Interns can work in any of the Los Angeles Region chapter or blood services offices including Arcadia, Canoga Park, Glendale, Long Beach, Palmdale, Pasadena, Pomona, West LA, and Santa Monica.
All internships through the program are unpaid; however, academic credit can be given if applicable to an intern’s situation. Students can also fulfill community service requirements through their participation in the program. The program will be facilitated by Youth and Young Adult Services (YAYA), part of the Community and Volunteer Engagement Department.
Summer interns are students enrolled at accredited high schools, colleges, or universities. The selection committee makes no discriminations based on place of residence, sex, national origin, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, or disability.
Selected interns have a genuine interest in the American Red Cross and accept its Seven Fundamental Principals into their value systems. Ideally, interns continue their involvement with the American Red Cross after completing their internship, although it is not a program requirement.
American Red Cross staff and volunteers across the LA Region have the opportunity to submit a request(s) for a summer intern.
- Blood Services Intern- Culver City (Multiple Positions Available): Biomedical interns will work directly with the Customer Service Representative in helping to be support our Account Manager staff. Interns will prepare materials for our Red Cross Ambassadors, contact previous donors about blood drive opportunities, help run reports, paperwork/filing of Account Manager documents, and possibly help at a health fair in recruiting blood drive donors.
- Public Relations Intern (Multiple Positions Available): The Public Relations interns will support the PR team in promoting events, general preparedness, and other Red Cross lines of service. This position involves writing opportunities and contact with the media. Spanish-speakers will be given priority for one of the positions.
- Writing/Blogging Intern: The Writing intern will aid the Communications Department in promoting Red Cross programs and services, campaigns, events and fundraising events across the Los Angeles Region, specifically supporting the management of the LA Red Cross website, newsletter and blogs.
- Social Media Intern: The Social Media intern will help create content that helps move the needle in getting people more prepared for disaster. Whether it is a video that informs or entertains people, or a vine that makes people laugh and share with their friends, our goal is to grab public attention in a productive way. Be involved with planning, designing, and executing creative ideas for all the Red Cross LA social media platforms.
- Graphic Design Intern (Multiple Positions Available): The Graphic Design interns will create visual assets for the Red Cross. This includes donor mailers, event invitations, project reports, web banners, social media graphics, graphics for videos, and many other potential projects. One position will be tailored toward Video Graphic Design, so please indicate your preference in your application.
- Videography Intern: The Videography intern will create videos to post on our website and social media that showcase the work of the LA Region of the Red Cross. Videos can focus on disaster response, preparedness messaging, and many other topics that support the Red Cross story. Red Cross will provide all necessary equipment.
- Community Outreach Intern- West LA: The goal of the Community Outreach Intern position is to promote Red Cross services through events with community partners and external organizations. Other intern responsibilities include recruiting, training & mentoring volunteers.
- Volunteer Services Intern (Multiple Positions Available): The Volunteer Services Interns will provide support to the overall planning, coordination, and management of the projects within Volunteer Services and the volunteer management system, Volunteer Connection
- Youth and Young Adult Services Intern (Multiple Positions Available) -West LA:. Interns will manage volunteer intake for youth under 18 and update records in the Red Cross database (Volunteer Connection). Interns will help support the planning and implementation of the annual high school Leadership Development Camp, and will support youth events and meetings throughout the region.
- Operations Intern: Intern will assist Operations Team in procurements, metrics tracking, PowerPoint development, supporting regional miscellaneous projects and professional development for employees in accordance with organizational policies and legal requirements.
Disaster Specialist Interns: The Disaster Services interns will assist in the programming for every phase of the disaster cycle (preparedness, response, and recovery). The interns will learn how to supervise and work alongside volunteers, care for victims of disasters, and provide resources for clients to aid in their recovery.
Note: 12 positions available in 5 different locations
- Client Casework Intern (Multiple Positions Available): Client Casework interns will help determine each client’s specific plan for recovery by inquiring about their disaster-cased needs, providing positive support and advocacy, explaining Red Cross assistance, managing expectations of assistance, and providing referrals to outside agencies and organizations.
- Community and Government Relations Intern: The Public Affairs intern will support the growth of the Community Ambassador Program by working closely with the Community Relationship Coordinator. Intern will assist with project management, event coordination, social media, engagement opportunities, recruitment, and other duties as assigned. Intern will also assist the Director of Government Relations by assisting with relationship management of local, state, and federal elected officials and any additional projects related to advocacy or outreach.
- Preparedness Education Intern- West LA: Intern will give preparedness presentations, help with volunteer coordination, organize quarterly Preparedness Education team meetings for the region, assist in recruiting volunteers, and build partnerships in the community.
- Preparedness Instructor Intern (Multiple Positions Available in Various Locations): The Intern Instructor's will instruct Red Cross Health and Safety courses. This position is responsible for providing high quality, superior instruction, providing necessary reports and managing/cleaning equipment in their possession or under their delegated responsibility.
- Fund Development and Foundations Intern- Pasadena and West LA (Multiple Positions Available): The Foundations Interns will assist LA Region Foundations Team in identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding foundations to secure funding for American Red Cross programs. Interns will also support fundraising projects, special events, and occasional youth activities.
- Grants and Foundation Relations Intern (Multiple Positions Available): Interns will assist the Grants & Foundation Relations Team in applying for and managing government contracts and private foundation grants in accordance with organizational policies and legal requirements.
- Major Gifts Intern (Multiple positions available): Interns will help provide general administrative support for the Major Gifts team by doing prospect research on Family Foundations and Small Business opportunities.
- Donor Database Intern (Multiple Positions Available): The Donor Database interns will assist the Director in various administrative duties including processing gifts, running reports, and managing donor relations.
- Special Events Intern: Intern will assist with the logistics of putting on both fundraising and donor awareness special events. In addition, the intern will help with current events and will assist in planning any future events.
- International Humanitarian Law Intern: The International Humanitarian Law intern will provide support to the IHL team through outreach, assisting in event planning, and training/mentoring IHL volunteers.
- Restoring Family Links Outreach Intern (Multiple Positions Available): This internship will provide volunteer capacity building and outreach/awareness of the Restoring Family Links Program, working with Refugees, Holocaust Survivors, and disconnected families. Interns will be responsible for creative recruitment of volunteers in the different territories of the region, and concurrent outreach efforts as part of a team.
- Services to the Armed Forces Intern (Multiple Positions Available): This internship will support the new program at the West LA Veteran’s Association, providing administrative support, volunteer recruitment, and logistic (material) coordination in working with Veterans.