Youth and Young Adult Services is proud to introduce the 2014 Summer Interns. The 2014 class includes 34 college and high school students that will be serving the Los Angeles Region for 8 weeks. The pool of applicants was the most competitive quality the program has ever seen, and the selected students hail from schools including UCLA, USC, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, and Miami University among others. They will be working in various offices throughout the region, so feel free to introduce yourself! They have graciously chosen to dedicate their Summer to the Red Cross.
Please join us in welcoming our new volunteer staff to the Red Cross family!
Monday, March 3: Internships application available online - SIP 2014 Online Application
Friday, March 28: All internship Applications due
Friday, April 4: Matching complete
Monday, April 7-Thursday, April 10: Send candidates to supervisors
Friday, April 18: Interviews - Supervisor final selections due to YAYA
Monday, April 21: Notification of acceptance/wait-list
Monday, May 3: All final intern candidates must be selected and confirmed
Wednesday, May 7: Supervisor Orientation
Monday, June 16: First day of Program; Intern Orientation
Monday, June16-Friday, June 20 First Week Orientation (CPR, First Aid; PrepareU presentation)
Monday, July 14-Friday, July 25: Midterm check-ins (Interns and Supervisors)
Monday, July 28: Send invitations to internship recognition party
Monday, August 4: Send wrap up email
Friday, August 8: Final day of program; Internship Recognition party with interns & supervisors
The Summer Internship Program is an eight week program held between the months of June-August.
All internships through the program are unpaid; however, academic credit can be given if applicable to an intern’s situation. Students can also fulfill community service requirements through their participation in the program.
- Blood Services Intern - Culver City: Intern will work directly with the Customer Service Representative in helping to be support our Account Manager staff. Intern will prepare materials for our Red Cross Ambassadors, contact previous donors about blood drive opportunities, help run reports, paperwork/filing of Account Manager documents, and possibly help at a health fair in recruiting blood drive donors.
- Blood Services Intern - Woodland Hills: Intern will recruit blood donors for blood drives in the San Fernando Valley area. This responsibility will teach motivational and selling skills as well as event planning.
- Communications Intern: Intern will assist the Chief Communications Officer and Director in all publicity and media relations projects for the LA Region including maintaining and updating mailing lists, writing and posting stories about the Red Cross Mission on social media and on the Red Cross website, staffing major events (including photography and videography), and working with the public manager on research and creation of key stories.
- Community Outreach Intern- West LA: Intern will assist the Community Outreach Coordinator with maintaining and updating outreach events, managing volunteers & establishing internal and external relationships
- Youth and Young Adult Services Intern (Two Positions Available) -West LA: Intern will support the management of youth and young adult volunteers in Volunteer Connection. The intern will manage volunteer intake for youth under 18, update records in Volunteer Connection, place youth volunteers in appropriate groups and update group page. Furthermore, they will contact graduated youth volunteers to move them out of the system or transition them into adult volunteers, update GroupShare pages for Red Cross clubs to stay accurate, and attend youth events as additional support.
- Disaster Specialist Intern (Two Positions Available ) - Antelope Valley: The Disaster Specialist Intern will work side by side with the Program Specialist, assist on Preparedness Education and Disaster Action Team Scheduling, and will be available to respond to Disaster Action Team Calls.
- Disaster Specialist Intern (Two Positions Available) - Canoga Park: The Disaster Specialist Intern will work side by side with the Program Specialist, assist on Preparedness Education Presentation and Disaster Action Team Scheduling, and will be available to respond to Disaster Action Team Calls.
- Government Relations Intern: Intern will update the elected official contact list, research priorities for local elected officials, analyze current legislation, and assist with project management .
- LA Region Disaster Training Intern: The Disaster Training Intern will provide support to the Los Angeles Region for the disaster training program. The position will require work in the administrative, database, and volunteer projects capacity. The work will focus on delivering training for the leadership across the region.
- Logistics Technology Development Intern: Intern will assist in the development of software and systems for logistic purposes. These systems will be used to further improve response capabilities in times of disaster as well as day-to-day operations.
- Preparedness Education Intern - West LA: Intern will give preparedness presentations, help with volunteer coordination, organize quarterly Preparedness Education team meetings for the region, assist in recruiting volunteers, and build partnerships in the community
- Workforce Engagement Intern: The Workforce Engagement Intern will provide support to the Los Angeles Region in the recruitment and retention of volunteers. They will also provide support in volunteer projects.
- Development Department Intern - Santa Monica: Intern will work with the Director of Development in Santa Monica in researching and making an action plan on how the Red Cross can convert one time disaster donors to repeat donors. In addition, they will assist in getting a young professional group started at the American Red Cross, Santa Monica Chapter.
- Development Department Intern-Pasadena: Intern will assist the Development Department, CEO, Director, and Major Gifts Associate with fundraising projects, special events, the Prepare SGV campaign, and youth activities. Additionally, they will help in the day to day duties of the Development Department.
- Development Special Events Intern: Intern will assist with the logistics of putting on both fundraising and donor awareness special events. In addition, the intern will help with current events and will assist in planning any future events.
- Financial Development Administrative Intern - West LA: Intern will assist with face to face fundraising, preparation of 3rd party fundraising contracts, donor “Thank You” plaque preparations, and they will assist with other development department needs which may include work associated with donor communications.
- Financial Development Intern - Whittier Office: Intern will assist the financial development staff in securing sponsorships for the hometown heroes luncheon scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014, by following up on packages mailed and referrals made by the hometown heroes’ volunteer committee.
- Foundations Intern - West LA: The Foundations Intern will assist LA Region Foundations Team in identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding foundations to secure funding for American Red Cross programs.
- Grant Management Intern - West LA: Intern will assist the Grant Management Team (GMT) in administering government contracts in accordance with organizational policies and legal requirements.
- Prepare Santa Monica Intern-Santa Monica: Intern will assist the CEO and the Director of Development in Santa Monica with their Prepare Santa Monica campaign by researching potential supporters in the community, arranging appointments for the development team, assisting with events and other fundraising tasks, and lastly they will research locations for shelter space in the community.
- Special Events Intern - West LA: Intern will assist with on-site registration, set-up, guest meet and greet, and the intern will assist the special events coordinator.
- Executive Intern: Intern will serve as a backup for the Executive Assistant by providing crucial support to the CEO. They will help create power point templates for meetings, assist with day to day administrative tasks such as filing, copying, and organizing executive office files. Lastly, they wil assist with monthly expenses, reconciliation, and filing.
- Office Administrative Intern-AV: To assist with the day-to-day office operations of the Antelope Valley Chapter office.
- International Humanitarian Law Intern: International Humanitarian Law Summer intern will provide support to the IHL team and develop a deep understanding of Red Cross and its core services.
- Restoring Family Links Outreach Intern: Intern will provide support to the RFL program, and develop a deep understanding of Red Cross and its core services.
- Services to the Armed Forces Summer Intern: The Service to the Armed Forces Intern will provide overall support to the SAF program and develop a deep understanding of Red Cross and its services.