The American Red Cross Hawaii is committed to adhering to the highest standards of instruction through our Nurse Assistant Training Program. This course will provide the training and skills that will enable students to provide quality care for residents in long-term care setting, for clients at home and patients in hospitals.
In addition to the hands on skills such as bathing and bed making, the program focuses on providing concerned individualized care that adheres to the five principles of care: Safety, Privacy, Dignity, Communication and Independence.
Students benefit from small classes, with caring, well-trained instructors. They receive hands-on experience as they learn in realistic clinical settings.
The American Red Cross training site is located on the island of Oahu.
- Care for residents in long-term facilities and patients in hospitals.
- Provide basic nursing care in a home environment to allow clients to maintain an independent and quality lifestyle.
- Qualify for a secure job in a growing field.
- Receive three American Red Cross Certifications.
- Instruction by the professional and highly qualified American Red Cross Instructors.
- Build self-esteem and confidence.
- Must be 17 years of age to train in the course, but must be 18 years of age to take state CNA exam
- Must attend at least one Information Session
- Must take a TABE reading and math test if unable to provide a copy of high school diploma or GED certificate.
- Present copy of a negative TB or chest x-ray taken within the past 12 months.
- Present current photo ID - Drivers License, Passport, or state issued ID card.
- A cleared background check within the past 6 months.
- Must be in good general health and have no restrictions on lifting.
Course Tuition: $1,340.00 – includes text book and First Aid, CPR & AED training
Partial Scholarships Available! Please attend the information session or contact 808-739-8142 for details.
The American Red Cross Hawaii Nurse Assistant Training Program consists of 100 hours under the supervision of Registered Nurse Instructors.
In this course students will learn:
- Infection Control
- How to take vital signs
- Range of motion exercises
- How to be a valuable and adaptable employee
- Communication, teamwork and diversity skills for the workplace
Students will participate in lectures and skill practices, complete reading and homework assignments, and take unit quizzes and a final exam. Students must display competency in their skill performance prior to participating in the on-site clinical experience at a nursing facility designated by the Red Cross.
Students must pass all quizzes and the final exam with a minimum score of 80% to successfully complete the Nurse Assistant course. At graduation student will receive a certificate of completion and an American Red Cross pin.
Satisfactory completion of the course will allow the students to apply for and take Hawaii’s State Nurse Aide Competency Exam to become a Certified Nurse Aide (CNA).
Candidates must attend at least one Information Session that is held every Tuesday from 9:00am – 11:00am at the Hawaii State Chapter.
Financial Assistance, through Wal-Mart and Sony Friend’s of Hawaii grants, are available to qualified applicants.
You may register by phone (808) 739-8142 or Click Here to register online.