The first Red Cross chapter in the area was founded in Tuscarawas County in 1917. In 1980, American Red Cross chapters in Dover City and Tuscarawas, Harrison, and Carroll counties merged to become the Muskingum Lakes Chapter. Today, the Muskingum Lakes Red Cross serves over 125,000 residents in Carroll, Harrison and Tuscarawas counties in Ohio.
The Muskingum Lakes Red Cross headquarters is located in Tuscarawas County, approximately halfway between the city of New Philadelphia and nearby Dover. With the largest population in this rural region, these two cities are the focal point of health care and human services for the surrounding communities. The tri-county service area comprises a large, rural region of Northeastern Ohio with more than half of the land area covered with remote forests and more than 289,000 acres of farmland.
Wherever disaster strikes, the entire community can count on a rapid response from their Muskingum Lakes Red Cross. The chapter serves residents from the more populated areas of Tuscarawas County to the smaller communities of Carroll and Harrison counties. Volunteers and staff from the chapter headquarters are no more than 30 miles from the major population areas of the sister counties.