The Jane Delano Student Nurse Scholarship was established to promote nursing as a career and the involvement of new nurses in the Red Cross. The scholarship is available to nursing students (undergraduate or graduate) who have contributed volunteer service to or are employees of an American Red Cross Unit. A limited number of $3,000 scholarships are awarded each year.
Applications are due in May and applicants are notified in June each year.
Scholarship funds may be applied towards tuition, books and academic fees only. Recipients of the Jane Delano Student Nurse Scholarship and their Red Cross units are notified by the Office of the Chief Nurse. A unit may be a chapter; Blood Services region; Preparedness, Health, and Safety Services territory; or Service to the Armed Forces station.
- Have served as a Red Cross volunteer or employee within the past five (5) years. Preference will be given to nursing student volunteers.
- Have completed the equivalent of at least one year of college/university credits.
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited United States nursing program.
- Be currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student in good academic standing.
Complete all four (4) sections of the application document:
- Section I: Applicant Information - provide all requested information
- Section II: Red Cross Endorsement - provide a written endorsement from local Red Cross leadership using the form included in the application document
- Section III: Academic Institution Endorsement - provide a written endorsement from the Dean/Chair of your academic institution/nursing program using the form included in the application document
- Section IV: Application Essay (2 parts) - justify your application by
- describing your Red Cross experience and anything else you would like us to know about you - including additional community/school service, awards received, extra-curricular activities, or organization memberships/service; and
- explaining how you will contribute to the profession of nursing and why you should be considered for this scholarship; use the form included in the application document for the essay. Note that there are two pages, which is the maximum length for this two-part essay.