About Us

  • Historic poster of a little boy proudly pointing to his Red Cross pin asking people to "Join!"
     
The American Red Cross of East Tennessee serves 13 counties in the Knoxville Area. Our main chapter office is located in Knoxville, but we also have offices in Crossville, Maryville, Oak Ridge, Sweetwater and Fentress.

    The American Red Cross:

  • Is a private, non-profit organization dedicated to helping people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies
  • Is not a government agency and does not receive government funds
  • Relies on the support of the American people to carry out its lifesaving mission

    What We Do:

  • Service to the Armed Forces- provides communication and financial assistance to military personnel and their families
  • Disaster Services- provides immediate help to disaster victims
  • Volunteer Services- volunteers assist in all Red Cross programs
  • Youth Services- gives local youth Red Cross training and volunteer opportunities
  • Preparedness, Health and Safety Services - CPR, First Aid, AED, and other lifesaving courses
  • Nursing Services- provides training in health-related fields, such as the popular Nurse Assistant Training course
  • International Services- protects life and health worldwide
History:
  • 1917
    Knoxville Area Chapter founded February 6, 1917
  • 1921
    The chapter was very involved in public health in the interwar period. Established first Child Welfare Bureau & first Child Guidance Clinic in the area; these programs were later assumed by the local community. By 1921, the chapter had disaster preparedness plan and were teaching First Aid, Swimming, and Lifesaving skills.
  • 1941
    Red Cross was active during the years of World War II by teaching First Aid to cadets, raising funds for necessary items, and wrapping surgical dressings—25,000 were needed daily!
  • 1949
    Chapter headquarters relocated to Cumberland Avenue.
  • 1959
    Red Cross First Aid Station program started at University of Tennessee. To this day, Red Cross First Aid Station volunteers attend UT football games and other area events to provide first aid support to spectators as needed.
  • 1966
    Red Cross School Health Clinic program began at Cedar Bluff Elementary School. The program was discontinued in 2014 after nearly fifty years and thousands of students served.
  • 1985
    Federal government purchased Red Cross property on Cumberland Avenue and the chapter headquarters relocated to its current location on Middlebrook Pike. The original doorway of the Cumberland Avenue office is on display at the Middlebrook location along with pictures and artifacts from local Red Cross history.
  • 1997
    An addition was made to the Middlebrook Pike location, providing office and teaching space for the Nursing Assistant Program as well as Health & Safety Services.
  • 2009
    National restructure unites Knoxville Area Chapter with other area chapters including Anderson, Blount, and Cumberland counties among others to become the Tennessee Mountain Valley Chapter. Later renamed the East Tennessee Chapter.
  • 2017
    The Red Cross East Tennessee Chapter celebrates its bicentennial.