Major disasters like fires, hurricanes, earthquakes, or floods can leave traditional communication lines broken, disrupted or overloaded. Families are separated, and those outside the affected areas may not be able to connect with loved ones.
The Red Cross helps fill the information void by networking our chapters across the United States and around the world to determine the welfare of your loved ones.
During large-scale events, the American Red Cross activates the Safe and Well List, an international database where families and individuals affected by disaster can register as "safe and well." Concerned family and friends can search the list of those who have registered.
After a disaster, letting your family and friends know that you are safe and well can bring your loved ones great peace of mind. This website is designed to help make that communication easier.
Register yourself as "Safe and Well" or search for loved ones who have registered through our Safe and Well service.
- Tracing family members who have been separated by disaster or armed conflict.
- Sending Red Cross messages when normal channels of communication have broken down.
- Helping to connect families in vulnerable situations who have no other way to re-establish contact with relatives overseas
- Your full name and address
- Your relationship to the person sought
- The reason for loss of contact
- The reason for your inquiry
- The full name of the person you’re trying to locate along with their:
- Birthdate and place of birth
- Last known address of general whereabouts
- The date and circumstances of last news and/or communication
The Red Cross cannot accept requests when there is insufficient information to conduct a search; for genealogical research; for legal matters such as wills, child custody, etc.; for situations involving adoptions; or third party requests.
If you are searching for a U.S. citizen, please call the U.S. State Department first at (888) 407-4747 or (202) 647-5225.
Thanks to the generosity of individuals, companies and foundations, all contact assistance is free of charge.