The American Red Cross Serving Skagit Valley and Whatcom County brings together local volunteers to care for their neighbors. Each year we respond to almost 70 local disasters, train over 9,000 residents in life-saving skills, and provide emergency communication between active military personnel and their family every few days. With an offices in Bellingham and Burlington, we are here for the people, businesses and all communities in Whatcom County and the Skagit Valley.
- Immediate, short-term disaster assistance for victims of fires, floods, earthquakes and other natural or man-made disasters
- Community disaster education
- Safety classes for adults and youth
- Workplace preparedness and training
- Emergency kits and supplies
- International communication to locate family members separated by disaster or warfare
- Emergency communication for military families
The chapter also mobilizes local volunteers and resources to help respond to disasters across the nation and around the world.
The American Red Cross in Skagit Valley and Whatcom County began as individual chapters in 1917. These two chapters were merged into today's Mt. Baker Chapter of the American Red Cross in March, 2004.
Today we provide Disaster Relief, Health & Safety Education, Armed Forces Emergency Services & International Social Services, and Volunteer & Youth Recruitment and Training.