- The willingness and availability to respond to emergencies anytime during their self-selected "on-call" shift
- A sensitivity to people's needs in difficult situations
- The ability to work objectively and compassionately with diverse individuals
- Respect and concern for the people you serve and work with
- The ability to maintain confidentiality
- The ability to work well in a "team" environment
DAT training is free, part of the American Red Cross disaster preparedness training. For more information on the classes that need to be taken to become a DAT member, contact your local chapter http://www.redcross.org/wa/spokane/about-us/contact-us.
Once trained as a local disaster responder, volunteers are qualified to deploy to national disasters when needed.