Clark-Skamania Chapter was chartered in 1917. Red Cross volunteers made bandages for soldiers confined to Fort Vancouver Barnes Hospital, handled emergency communications between families and soldiers abroad, and performed certified training in first aid and aquatics. In 1933 it became just Clark County Chapter.
On October 12, 1962 all Clark County Chapter history was destroyed by the unprecedented Columbus Day Storm.
In 2004, Clark County Chapter and Cowlitz Wahkiakum Pacific Chapter decided to merge to consolidate expenses and services resulting in a stronger regional Red Cross. Therefore, to better reflect the larger region served, the name was changed to Southwest Washington Chapter.
In 2007, Skamania County and in 2008, Klickitat County were added to our service area, since both counties were considered Service Delivery Areas and did not have chapters. In four years, the area of responsibility increased 88% to 6,526 sq. miles, much of it rural, with a population topping 600,000.
In 2013, the Southwest Washington Region joined the Oregon Region of the American Red Cross to form the Cascades Region.