American Red Cross of San Diego/Imperial Counties’ Month in Review – February 2019
SAN DIEGO – March 6, 2019 – The American Red Cross of San Diego/Imperial Counties operates with the mission to prevent and alleviate human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors. In February 2019, the following key programs and services were provided throughout the region, which covers all of San Diego and Imperial Counties as well as American Samoa:
- Responded to 22 incidents, including 16 home fires
- Served 28 families including 74 individuals
- Provided canteen services twice in Imperial County to 109 first responders
Service to the Armed Forces:
- Provided 1,116 services to 1,146 military members, veterans and spouses.
- Conducted 22 outreach and pre-deployment briefings, fulfilling 100 percent of command requests.
- Service to the Armed Forces caseworkers conducted family follow up on 418 emergency cases for the San Diego Region.
- Local Red Cross services were supported by volunteers who spent a total of 9,402 hours in February to aid the Red Cross mission.
- The February 2019 Volunteer of the Month is Ariana Ochoa. Ariana first learned about the American Red Cross when she experienced her own home fire. Today, she leads the Home Fire Campaign efforts in Imperial Valley, organizes community outreach events and is currently training to be a caseworker. Despite having a full-time job, she sets aside time to volunteer and make a difference in people's lives.
Women, Infants & Children (WIC) Program:
- A total of 21,292 women, infants, and children received nutrition counseling and support in February 2019.
- For more than 40 years, the local Red Cross has administered the WIC program in San Diego County. WIC is a supplemental nutrition assistance program that provides families in the most vulnerable communities with access to nutrition education, breastfeeding support, community resources, and groceries.
Disaster Preparedness Academy – Friday, March 8
- Local businesses are invited to join the American Red Cross of San Diego/Imperial Counties and the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce for the fifth annual Disaster Preparedness Academy.
Sound the Alarm. Save a Life.
Four smoke alarm installation events are scheduled in the coming months:
- Lake Jennings Park Estates (Lakeside) – Monday, March 11
- Malan Mobile Home Park (Brawley) – Saturday, March 30
- Pepperwood Park Mobile Home Community (El Cajon) – Saturday, April 6
- Sound the Alarm signature event (Chula Vista) – Saturday, May 4: 250+ volunteers installing 1,000+ smoke alarms in one day
The appointment-based installation program continues to run with support from the Burn Institute. Working smoke alarms save lives. Information on how to get involved or how to request a smoke alarm installation visit can be found at soundthealarm.org/sandiego.
For more information about the American Red Cross of San Diego/Imperial Counties, please visit redcross.org/sandiego.
About the American Red Cross of San Diego/Imperial Counties
The American Red Cross of San Diego/Imperial Counties is the most trusted community service organization in education, preparation and response to natural disasters and human emergencies. With the public’s ongoing support, we provide lifesaving preparedness training; disaster relief services; services to deployed military personnel and their families, and nutritional counseling through our Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program. Through Prepare San Diego, a regional resiliency initiative, the Red Cross brings together key community and business leaders from the region to create a sustainable network that encourages preparedness, carries out response and recovery plans, and strives for resiliency in the face of disaster, meeting all aspects of the disaster lifecycle. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org/sandiego or connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
# # #