1. Purpose: To set forth procedures governing the Schofield Barracks Dental Clinic Red Cross Volunteer Dental Assistant Training program under the command of USA Dental Activity- Hawaii. This program is to provide those Volunteers accepted into the program with comprehensive training and knowledge needed to assist competently in many fields of dentistry and able to compete successfully for employment in the dental assisting profession.
2. Applicability: This memorandum is applicable to all personnel volunteering at Schofield Barracks Dental Clinic under the command of DENTAC - Hawaii in the Red Cross Dental Assisting Program.
3. Background: The dental program is co-sponsored by the Pacific Regional Dental Command, the United States Army Dental Activity Hawaii and the American Red Cross (further referred to as Red Cross). Instructors are identified as the dental clinic staff. This training program involves challenging concepts and practical techniques. It will require regular study for successful completion of the course.
4. Length of Program: July 8, 2019 – March 31, 2020 (Program can be completed early pending group hours are accelerated).
5. Time Commitment: The programs consist of 1050 total hours at 40 hours per week 7:15 am to 4:15 pm, Monday through Friday. Federal Holidays off
6. Qualifications: Applicant must:
1. Be at least 18 years old.
2. Possess a valid military ID card and enrolled in TRICARE
3. Be fluent in English i.e. able to speak, read and write the English language quickly and easily
4. Secure adequate childcare-Red Cross does not offer a childcare program
5. Obtain American Red Cross CPR certification before the start of the program (Free to all Dental Students)
Application Period: January 14th thru May 3rd
1. Deros minimum of 12 months uppon completion of the program.
2. Copy of High School Diploma or GED
3. Volunteer Dental Assistant Program Application
4. Personal Essay on one or all the following topics (no specific format):
-Why should you be selected as a candidate for the DENTAC Program?
-Your knowledge of the Dental profession and what personal attributes would you bring to the profession?
-Why are you interested in becoming a Dental Assistant?
4. Two letters of Recommendation (Family members excluded)
5. In-person interview with Dental Program Leadership & Red Cross Lead Assistant
6. Upon completion of the Dental Assistant Program, you will be able to take the National Board Certification at your expense. Please check your local state guidelines for requirements.
7. When application packet is ready, you may drop packet off at Schofield Barracks Dental Clinic, building 660, to Jessica Moore- Red Cross Lead Assistant
Download the application
8. Once accepted into the Dental Assistant Program, you must become a Red Cross Volunteer.
Here are the steps to become a Red Cross volunteer:
Please follow link to begin the application process:
• Click on Becoming a volunteer
• Click on Services to the Armed Forces
• Click on Volunteer Application
• Complete application (Create a Red Cross ID)
Navigate to Volunteer Connection https://volunteerconnection.redcross.org/?nd=login and login using the Red Cross ID/password you just created.
• Follow “Entry Point Checklist” to complete your profile
• Most importantly: Authorize the background check! Failure to do this will stall your progress.
Log in periodically to check status of background check. When your background check is successfully completed, you will receive the "green light" to register for Red Cross Orientation (1st Friday of each month 9am-12pm). Specific location will be provided upon completion of this step.
-- HIPAA training-- Instructions provided at ARC orientation.
-- Occupational Health clearance—Instructions provided at ARC orientation.
-- Badges- Instructions provided at ARC orientation.
Point of Contact: Jessica Moore Red Cross Lead Assistant at Jessica.email@example.com
Or Ramey Price SAF Red Cross Regional Program Manager at (808 655-4927) or firstname.lastname@example.org