California Nurse Assistant Competency Examination
Exam Information and Study Guide
Since 1992, the Competency Evaluation Program (CEP) of the American Red Cross (ARC) in California has tested over 375,000 candidates for skill competency. Candidates are qualified to become a Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA), after receiving a criminal record clearance from the Department of Justice (DOJ), completing training requirements approved by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), and passing both parts (Skills Test and Written Test) of the Competency Evaluation Examination.
During the Skills Test, candidates will demonstrate four (4) skills learned from their training program. They will be evaluated based on the demonstration of each skill performed, including how to follow the Six Principles of Care. The Written Test consists of 60 multiple-choice questions with a two-hour time limit. YOU WILL RECEIVE SAME DAY TEST RESULTS.
You will want to know
- About Accommodations page 2
- Three (3) Items To Bring To The Exam / What Not To Bring To The Exam page 3
- About Additional Exam Day Information / About Professional Conduct page 4
- About Guests / Visitors page 4
- About Passing Both Parts Of The Exam page 5
- About Not Passing One Or Both Parts Of The Exam page 5
- About Payment Policy / Fees / Phone Number / Scheduling / Cancellations page 5
- How To Verify Your CNA Certificate Online page 5
- About The Six Principles Of Care page 6
- What Are Opening And Closing Procedures? page 7
- What You Need To Remember During The Skills Test page 7
- About Communication With The Resident page 8
- How To Make Corrections During The Skills Test page 9
- How To Perform The Twenty-Five (25) Skills / About Testing Stations A-B-C page 10-25
Download the Exam Information and Study Guide.
Find out What to Expect for the Skills Test.
Option 1: Skills + Oral Test $120
Option 2: Skills + Written Test $105
Option 3: Skills Re-Test $65
Option 4: Written Re-Test $40
Option 5: Oral Test $55
Option 6: Rescheduling Fee $30
Credit/Debit Card: Call 800-RedCross or 800-733-2767 Money Order/Cashier’s Check Payable to American Red Cross No cash or personal checks accepted.2
Mail Payment to:3
After payment is processed, a confirmation and receipt will be sent to you via e-mail.