More than 130 years ago, Clara Barton established the American Red Cross by engaging talented, committed and compassionate women dedicated to saving lives. In 2006, her legacy continued when the Tiffany Circle was formed to unite and engage a group of generous and highly-involved women to continue to ensure that the Red Cross has the ability to help people prevent, prepare for and respond to life's emergencies.
The Tiffany Circle takes its name from the historic stained glass windows in the Board of Governors Hall at Red Cross national headquarters in Washington, D.C. Installed in 1917, the windows were commissioned from the Louis Comfort Tiffany Studios. The windows cost $10,000 and were jointly purchased by the Women’s Relief Corps of the North and the United Daughters of the Confederacy of the South as an act of reconciliation and hope. Tiffany Circle members from across the country, each donate $10,000 or more annually to support the American Red Cross.
The Tiffany Circle, now in its 11th year, has raised nearly $110 million for the Red Cross. The society has grown from eight pilot chapters with 100 members, to 49 regions, with over 850 members in the United States.