Northern California Coastal Home Fire Campaign
The Red Cross is working to reduce death and injury from home fires by 25% by 2020.
American Red Cross Home Fire Campaign
Do You Need A Smoke Alarm?
Smoke alarms should be present on every floor of your home, in every bedroom, and in every hallway. If you would like to schedule an appointment for trained Red Cross volunteers to:
Help us Sound the Alarm
The Red Cross is responding to Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, as well as everyday disasters such as home fires. Our focus in on providing relief to those affected by these disasters. We will be postponing Sound the Alarm events. Check back for updates. Connect with your local Red Cross to find opportunities to volunteer in your community today.
This spring, the Red Cross will launch Sound the Alarm, a series of home fire safety and smoke alarm installation events nationwide. Volunteers will install 100,000 free smoke alarms in high risk neighborhoods, culminating in the installation of the one millionth smoke alarm!
Since 2014, the Red Cross, in partnership with fire departments and other local groups, has visited homes installing free smoke alarms, replacing batteries in existing alarms and providing fire prevention and safety education to prevent needless tragedies. Join us today in helping to save lives.
The Red Cross Responds to a Home Fire or Other Disaster Every 8 Minutes.In Northern California Coastal Region over the past three years, the Red Cross and its partners have:
3,585 homes made safer
9,195 smoke alarms installed
3,186 fire escape plans created
2,516 fire safety checklists completed
10,465 people served
Get Involved and Help Save LivesThere are several ways you can get involved with Sound the Alarm:
The Red Cross is responding to Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, as well as everyday disasters such as home fires. Our focus in on providing relief to those affected by these disasters. We will be postponing Sound the Alarm events. Check back for updates. Find other local volunteer opportunities by visiting redcross.org/volunteer.
Note: If you are already a Red Cross volunteer, please sign up through Volunteer Connection.
Local Stories and Photos
Local people helped by the Red Cross Home Fire Campaign
Photos of local volunteers events
Thank You To Our Sound The Alarm National Sponsors
1. The Red Cross and its partners will install a limited number of free smoke alarms for those who cannot afford to purchase smoke alarms or for those who are physically unable to install a smoke alarm.
2. The Red Cross installs a limited number of specialized bedside alarms for individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
3. A number of organizations are partnering with the Red Cross to accomplish the goals of our Home Fire Campaign. Depending on where you live and other factors, it is possible that we will forward your request to one of our partner organizations so they can contact you to set up an appointment.
4. The NCCR region provides installation services in their region only. If you live outside of this area and would like to identify your local region office, please visit RedCross.org (or call 1-800-REDCROSS).
5. If you are able to purchase and install your own smoke alarm, but would like information on home fire safety and smoke alarm installation, please visit redcross.org/homefire.