Prepare Colorado is a statewide, whole-community movement to save lives and reduce the impacts of disasters by mobilizing Coloradans to take action today to be more prepared for disasters and emergencies.
Our aim is for Colorado to lead the country in preparedness. To achieve this, Prepare Colorado involves every sector of our communities: individuals and families, neighborhoods and schools, businesses and organizations, public and private agencies.
That is in addition to the daily disasters and emergencies that the Red Cross and other agencies respond to every day – the home fires, floods, blizzards, hazardous materials calls, wildfires, and other incidents that displace families on average more than 400 times a year in Colorado. These incidents have resulted in dozens of lost lives, thousands of displaced residents and billions of dollars in property damage.
- People trained in preparedness can help prevent emergencies such as drownings, fires and injuries.
- Bystanders prepared with skills like CPR and First Aid can save lives when seconds matter.
- Communities that practice mitigation can save money, protect assets and reduce losses.
- Organizations that plan and prepare can better withstand unexpected circumstances –and can be there to provide jobs, income, tax revenue, goods and services when their communities need them most.
- Prepare your business, school or organization
- Prepare yourself, your household or your neighborhood. Sign up for a free Red Cross training here and create a plan on readycolorado.com.
- Become a trained Red Cross volunteer
- Donate to support the work of the Red Cross in Colorado.