The American Red Cross Southern Blood Services Region based in Douglasville began its minority recruitment initiative in 2000.
The goal was to bring the metro Atlanta community together to increase minority blood donations primarily at African-American colleges, churches and businesses.
Blood donations from African-Americans are essential for the safe treatment of patients within this group who must have repeated blood transfusions to cope with or recover from chronic illnesses, such as sickle cell disease, cancer and heart disease.
Today, the nationally recognized initiative thrives with the support of an advisory board made up of local community leaders who help ensure a stable and diverse blood supply from all minorities. Board members foster relationships that increase blood collections, host and volunteer at blood drives and support other Red Cross lines of service.
For more information about the advisory board or to schedule a blood drive, please contact Cynthia Smith at (404) 539-8365 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit redcrossblood.org to learn more about blood donation.
- Courtney McFarlane, Caribbean American Advancement Foundation
- Reverend Timothy McDonald, Senior Pastor, First Iconium Baptist Church, Board Parliamentarian
- Andrea Harris Wynn, President, Kids ‘R’ Kids Quality Learning Center (Honorary)
- Thelma Wyatt Moore, Fulton County Judge (Retired), Moore Law (Honorary)
- Anissa R. White, PHR, Organizational Developmental Specialist III, MARTA
- Cynthia Smith, Director, Minority Recruitment, District Manager/ Atlanta Metro West, American Red Cross
- James Harris, Intellectual Property Counsel, UPS
- Rosalind Gregory-Bass, M.D., Assistant Professor, Biology Department, Associate Director, Health Careers Program, Spelman College
- Brenda G. Aiken, Chief Financial Officer, Aiken Global Group, LLC
- Kim M. Braud, Affinity Sales Management Consultant, Nationwide Insurance, Board Chair
- Tracy Gilbert, Programs Community Affairs Manager, Office of Community Affairs, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, Board Co-Chair
- Elder Alice Evans, New Birth Missionary Baptist Church
- Ericka Newsome-Hill, Director, Community Affairs, Atlanta Braves
- Deb McGhee-McCray, Chief Executive Officer, Sickle Cell Foundation of Georgia, Inc.
- Patsy Jo Hilliard, Former Mayor, City of East Point (Honorary)
- Sabrina Starr, Franchise Owner, Hungry Howie's Pizza
- Rhea Posey, Executive Director, The Joseph’s Network
- Sheila Tenney, Director of Media Relations for Atlanta Metropolitan State College
- Denise Washington, Human Resources, Gordon Food Service
- Johnetta Goolsby, Cancer Survivor
- Mapillar Dahn, Founder/CEO, MTS Sickle Cell Foundation, Inc.
- Lance Robertson, Executive Director, National Black and Latino Council USA
- Odette Simmons, Donor Recruitment Account Manager, Specialized Markets, American Red Cross
- Ebony Rose, Donor Recruitment Account Manager, Specialized Markets, American Red Cross