Idaho Home Fire Campaign
The Red Cross is working to reduce death and injury from home fires by 25% by 2020.
American Red Cross Home Fire Campaign
On April 27-28, the Red Cross of Idaho and its community partners will install free smoke alarms in hundreds of West Boise homes. Volunteers will help us canvas neighborhoods, install alarms, replace batteries in existing alarms and help families create fire escape plans.
We need your help. If you would like to volunteer please visit:
Please call 800-853-2570 to enquire whether the installation of free smoke alarms is available in your community.
Smoke alarms and other fire safety equipment can help you gain precious seconds to escape from a home fire.
Together we installed 1 million smoke alarms – a major milestone achieved!
Help save lives in your community.
Every day, seven people die in home fires, most in homes that lack working smoke alarms. Sadly, children and the elderly disproportionately lose their lives. The American Red Cross wants to improve the odds and save lives, that’s why we launched our Home Fire Campaign in 2014.
A critical part of the campaign is Sound the Alarm, a series of home fire safety and smoke alarm installation events across the country. Red Cross volunteers, along with fire departments and other partners canvass at-risk neighborhoods, installing free smoke alarms, replacing batteries in existing alarms, and providing fire prevention and safety education. In just three years, we’ve accomplished so much, including the installation of more than 1 million smoke alarms and prepared more than 1 million people against home fires through our home visits.
Our Partners in Home Fire Prevention
Get InvolvedThere are several ways you can get involved with Sound the Alarm:
Volunteers from the American Red Cross of Greater Idaho, United Way of Treasure Valley, the Boise Fire Department, Energize Our Neighborhood and SERVPRO of Boise will team up to install free smoke alarms in homes in West Boise. Volunteers will canvas neighborhoods, install free smoke alarms, replace batteries in existing alarms and help families create fire escape plans. Sign up to volunteer by clicking on the link below or call 208-855-4925
The Red Cross Responds to a Home Fire or Other Disaster Every 8 Minutes.In the Idaho & Montana Region, the Red Cross and its partners have:
Read Stories From People Helped by the Home Fire Campaign
Other Ways to Help
Help Kids Prepare
Thank You To Our Sound The Alarm National Sponsors
1. The Red Cross and its partners will install a limited number of free smoke alarms for those who cannot afford to purchase smoke alarms or for those who are physically unable to install a smoke alarm.
2. The Red Cross installs a limited number of specialized bedside alarms for individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
3. A number of organizations are partnering with the Red Cross to accomplish the goals of our Home Fire Campaign. Depending on where you live and other factors, it is possible that we will forward your request to one of our partner organizations so they can contact you to set up an appointment.
4. The Idaho region provides installation services in their region only. If you live outside of this area and would like to identify your local region office, please visit RedCross.org (or call 1-800-REDCROSS).
5. If you are able to purchase and install your own smoke alarm, but would like information on home fire safety and smoke alarm installation, please visit redcross.org/homefire.