Founded in 2001, the Auxiliary Board is a dedicated group of mission-minded young professionals who support the American Red Cross through fundraising activities. Our 17 Auxiliary Board members represent a wide demographic of young professionals, from ages 23 to 40. Raising an average of $10,000 annually, proceeds from membership and fundraising events support the life-saving mission of the American Red Cross in our community, across the country and around the world.
By volunteering for the world’s most recognized charity, Auxiliary Board members play a valuable role in furthering the life-saving mission of the American Red Cross. Members benefit from networking opportunities with fellow philanthropic young professionals and career development opportunities. There are also a host of leadership opportunities in a range of areas, including Auxiliary Board positions, volunteer positions and third-party fundraising.
For more information on the Auxiliary Board or becoming a member, please contact Savannah Murin, Membership Chair, at AuxiliaryBoard@redcross.org.
Auxiliary Board members are given the opportunity to network with fellow philanthropic young professionals while having access to diverse volunteer and professional development opportunities within the world’s most-recognized charity.
Outlined below are a few of the most popular volunteer and professional development opportunities.
Auxiliary Board members are invited to contribute to Team Red Cross as a volunteer. Team Red Cross brings together runners of all ages and abilities in support of the American Red Cross mission for the Bank of America Chicago Marathon and the Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle 8K. Auxiliary Board members can assist in marathon promotion ahead of the event and volunteer during race weekend.
Auxiliary Board members are also invited to volunteer at the region’s annual golf outing, the Red Cross Classic. The Red Cross Classic brings together nearly 200 golfers each year who enjoy a great day on the golf course at Sunset Ridge Country Club in support of disaster relief. Auxiliary Board members can assist in auction solicitation and day of logistics for the tournament.
Finally, once a year, Auxiliary Board members are given the opportunity to meet with the CEO of the American Red Cross of Chicago & Northern Illinois, Celena Roldán. At this event, she will speak to disaster relief, the importance of donors, and the annual work of the American Red Cross as a whole. Members are invited to ask questions and network during this event.
MINGLING FOR A MISSION
- Soliciting silent auction items
- Promoting tickets sales
- Sponsorship sales
- Food donation solicitations
- General event promotion
Requirements & Application
- Attend bi-annual meetings in January and July.
- Make a meaningful annual gift to the American Red Cross (membership dues), 100% of the donation goes to support the lifesaving mission of the American Red Cross.
- Volunteer for a minimum of 2 major organizational events:
- Early October: Team Red Cross at the Chicago Marathon
- Late April: Heroes Breakfast, largest annual fundraiser
- Mid-June: Red Cross Classic, annual golf outing
- Assist in planning the Auxiliary Board’s signature event series, Mingling for a Mission (i.e. securing silent auction items, event sponsors, marketing for and selling tickets to events, etc.)
- Assist in the planning of a spontaneous Mingling event, in the case of major national disasters.
- Must be between the ages of 23 and 40 at time of application.
Auxiliary Board Members
Allison Whitley | Auxiliary Board Chair
Kamryn McPike | Auxiliary Board Vice Chair
Savannah Murin | Membership Chair