Kansas Home Fire Campaign
The Red Cross is working to reduce death and injury from home fires by 25% by 2020.
American Red Cross Home Fire Campaign
Do You Need A Smoke Alarm?
Help us Sound the Alarm
The Red Cross is responding to Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, as well as everyday disasters such as home fires. Our focus in on providing relief to those affected by these disasters. We will be postponing Sound the Alarm events. Check back for updates. Connect with your local Red Cross to find opportunities to volunteer in your community today.
This spring the Red Cross will launch Sound the Alarm, a series of home fire safety and smoke alarm installation events nationwide. Volunteers will install 100,000 free smoke alarms in high risk neighborhoods, culminating in the installation of the one millionth smoke alarm!
Since 2014, the Red Cross, in partnership with fire departments and other local groups, has visited homes installing free smoke alarms, replacing batteries in existing alarms and providing fire prevention and safety education to prevent needless tragedies. Join us today in helping to save lives.
Get InvolvedThere are several ways you can get involved with Sound the Alarm:
The Home Fire Campaign is a wonderful volunteer opportunity for groups and individuals. Help save lives by visiting homes to install smoke alarms and educate residents about fire safety.
If you are under 18 and will be volunteering without your parents,
please download, fill out and bring this form with you.
The Red Cross Responds to a Home Fire or Other Disaster Every 8 Minutes.In Kansas the Red Cross and its partners have:
Reached 1494 people in Kansas communities.
Created 424 home fire escape plans with families.
Installed 1237 potentially lifesaving smoke alarms.
Replaced 61 batteries in existing smoke alarms.
Stories From People Helped by the Home Fire Campaign
Danielle and Chris White from Belleville, KS share their story of the loss of their son and tell why it's important to prepare for a home fire.
Thank You To Our Sound The Alarm National Sponsors
1. The Red Cross and its partners will install a limited number of free smoke alarms for those who cannot afford to purchase smoke alarms or for those who are physically unable to install a smoke alarm.
2. The Red Cross installs a limited number of specialized bedside alarms for individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
3. A number of organizations are partnering with the Red Cross to accomplish the goals of our Home Fire Campaign. Depending on where you live and other factors, it is possible that we will forward your request to one of our partner organizations so they can contact you to set up an appointment.
4. The Kansas Region provides installation services in Kansas only. If you live outside of this area and would like to identify your local region office, please visit RedCross.org (or call 1-800-REDCROSS).
5. If you are able to purchase and install your own smoke alarm, but would like information on home fire safety and smoke alarm installation, please visit redcross.org/homefire.