Maine Home Fire Campaign
The Red Cross is working to reduce death and injury from home fires by 25% by 2020.
American Red Cross Home Fire Campaign
Do You Need a Smoke Alarm?
Help us Sound the Alarm
The Red Cross is responding to Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, as well as everyday disasters such as home fires. Our focus in on providing relief to those affected by these disasters. We will be postponing Sound the Alarm events. Check back for updates. Connect with your local Red Cross to find opportunities to volunteer in your community today.
This spring, the Red Cross will launch Sound the Alarm, a series of home fire safety and smoke alarm installation events nationwide. Volunteers will install 100,000 free smoke alarms in high risk neighborhoods, culminating in the installation of the one millionth smoke alarm!
Since 2014, the Red Cross, in partnership with fire departments and other local groups, has visited homes installing free smoke alarms, replacing batteries in existing alarms and providing fire prevention and safety education to prevent needless tragedies. Join us today in helping to save lives.
Get InvolvedThere are several ways you can get involved with Sound the Alarm:
Partner With UsGet Involved and Help Save Lives
The Red Cross Responds to a Home Fire or Other Disaster Every 8 Minutes.In the Maine Region, the Red Cross and its partners have:
Installed more than 3,232 smoke alarms
Helped create more than 707 home fire escape plans
Helped make more than 852 households safer
Served more than 2,059 people in our communities
Helped create more than 805 home fire safety checklists
Replaced more than 111 smoke alarm batteries
Home Fire Campaign In Action
The American Red Cross responds to approximately 300 fires in Maine each year, providing financial assistance for food, clothing, and emergency shelter. The region has ramped up our prevention efforts, and is taking our fire safety message to the cities and towns of the Pine Tree State. Teams of volunteers are going door-to-door in targeted neighborhoods, meeting with residents, sharing fire safety tips, and installing free smoke alarms where needed.
The fire safety campaign & Sound The Alarm relies on the hard work and dedication of our volunteers, who come from businesses, schools, community groups, and more. These individuals and teams help spread the fire safety message, and help keep our communities safe.
Thank You To Our Sound The Alarm National Sponsors
1. The Red Cross and its partners will install a limited number of free smoke alarms for those who cannot afford to purchase smoke alarms or for those who are physically unable to install a smoke alarm.
2. The Red Cross installs a limited number of specialized bedside alarms for individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
3. A number of organizations are partnering with the Red Cross to accomplish the goals of our Home Fire Campaign. Depending on where you live and other factors, it is possible that we will forward your request to one of our partner organizations so they can contact you to set up an appointment.
4. The Maine Region provides installation services in Maine only. If you live outside of this area and would like to identify your local region office, please visit RedCross.org (or call 1-800-REDCROSS).
5. If you are able to purchase and install your own smoke alarm, but would like information on home fire safety and smoke alarm installation, please visit redcross.org/homefire.