On their way home from football practice last August, Gino Otero and Jaqueal Holmes were shocked to see a large fire beginning to engulf a multi-unit residence on Jaqueal’s street in Manchester. The fire department had yet to arrive.
The two teenagers did not hesitate to spring into action. Gino and Jaqueal ran into the burning building and began knocking on doors to alert residents. They came upon a man confined to a wheel chair and carried him out to safety. After bringing him out they went back into the building to make sure that all the residents were out. When the firefighters arrived, they helped to run hoses to a fire hydrant.
Although Manchester Fire Chief James Burkush admits that he would never condone someone running into a burning building, he thinks that there may have been some casualties had Gino and Jaqueal not reacted so quickly. “Doing what they did resulted in lives being saved that day,” he said. Thanks to the bravery of Gino and Jaqueal, all of the residents made it to safety.
To view their story on video, click here for Gino Otero & Jaqueal Holmes