New Hampshire-Vermont Home Fire Campaign
The Red Cross is working to reduce death and injury from home fires by 25% by 2020.
American Red Cross Home Fire Campaign
Together we installed 1 million smoke alarms –a major milestone achieved!
Help save lives in your community.
Every day, seven people die in home fires, most in homes that lack working smoke alarms. Sadly, children and the elderly disproportionately lose their lives. The American Red Cross wants to improve the odds and save lives, that’s why we launched our Home Fire Campaign in 2014.
A critical part of the campaign is Sound the Alarm, a series of home fire safety and smoke alarm installation events across the country. Red Cross volunteers, along with fire departments and other partners canvass at-risk neighborhoods, installing free smoke alarms, replacing batteries in existing alarms, and providing fire prevention and safety education. In just three years, we’ve accomplished so much, including the installation of more than 1 million smoke alarms and prepared more than 1 million people against home fires through our home visits.
What people are saying about Sound the Alarm
Get InvolvedThere are several ways you can get involved with Sound the Alarm:
Partner With UsGet Involved and Help Save Lives
Do You Need a Smoke Alarm?
The Red Cross Responds to a Home Fire or Other Disaster Every 8 Minutes.In New Hampshire & Vermont, the Red Cross and its partners have:
Installed more than 1832 smoke alarms
Created 531 escape plans
1,444 people served
Conducted 570 in-home visits
Reached 1,985 Youth with preparedness information
Visited 152 cities and towns in our region
20 partner group volunteers
Thank You To Our Sound The Alarm Regional Sponsors
Thank You To Our Sound The Alarm National Sponsors
1. The Red Cross and its partners will install a limited number of free smoke alarms for those who cannot afford to purchase smoke alarms or for those who are physically unable to install a smoke alarm.
2. The Red Cross installs a limited number of specialized bedside alarms for individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
3. A number of organizations are partnering with the Red Cross to accomplish the goals of our Home Fire Campaign. Depending on where you live and other factors, it is possible that we will forward your request to one of our partner organizations so they can contact you to set up an appointment.
4. The New Hampshire and Vermont Region provides installation services in New Hampshire and Vermont only. If you live outside of this area and would like to identify your local region office, please visit RedCross.org (or call 1-800-REDCROSS).
5. If you are able to purchase and install your own smoke alarm, but would like information on home fire safety and smoke alarm installation, please visit redcross.org/homefire.