The American Red Cross Utah Region is pleased to partner with Be Ready Utah of the Division of Emergency Management to provide the Red Cross Masters of Disaster Educator Kit Program to schools in Utah. The program provides a free Red Cross Masters of Disaster Kit to teachers who pledge to use it at least 3 times during the current school year. After you teach at least 3 lessons click on the link above and fill out the short survey.
The Red Cross Masters of Disaster® curriculum is centered on a series of ready-to-go lesson plans that help organizations educate youth about important disaster safety and preparedness information.
The Masters of Disaster Educator Kit contains lessons, activities, and demonstrations on disaster-related topics that organizations can incorporate into daily or thematic programming. The curriculum is non-sequential, allowing organizers to choose the lesson plans that best fit into their programming.
The Masters of Disaster curriculum materials meet national educational standards and are specifically tailored for lower elementary (K–2), upper elementary (3–5) and middle school (6–8) classes.
The education on essential preparedness skills that students receive through the Masters of Disaster program will carry them through life. Lessons are enjoyable and interactive, ensuring that children are having fun while internalizing important life skills though building capabilities in Mathematics, Language Arts, Social Studies, and Science.
Masters of Disaster can be used to help reduce children's anxiety about unknown aspects of disasters and tragic events. They will also gain confidence to deal successfully with life's unexpected turns.
The Masters of Disaster series of topics is of the highest quality and most comprehensive available with almost 200 lesson plans. The curriculum materials cover safety and prevention for injuries and damage from hazards in the United States with topics on—
- Preparing for any disaster with Be Disaster Safe
- Coping with tough issues like terrorism, war and pandemic flu with Facing Fear
- Recovering and rebuilding from any disaster with In the Aftermath
- Preventing injuries that happen at home with Home Safety
- Fire Prevention and Safety
- Wildland Fires
- Ready-made lessons on CD linking the science of disasters to core subjects like math, language arts and social studies
- Hands-on activities and demonstrations
- Background information on each disaster safety and preparedness topic
- Printable activity sheets for students and families
- English and Spanish safety videos for fires, hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes and more
- Customizable certificates
- Poster that challenges students with disaster-related trivia questions
Ali Goldsmith | 801-323-7039 | email@example.com
The Be Ready Utah Contact for Masters of Disaster is
Jeff Johnson | 801-538-3644 | firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about Be Ready Utah, please visit their website at bereadyutah.gov