The Meals on Wheels program helps elderly people in the city of Council Bluffs, IA remain independent in their own homes with the help of nutritious hot meals and a friendly visit from caring volunteers. Meals on Wheels is supported by United Way of the Midlands and other federal and state funds. Meals are prepared by Jennie Edmundson Hospital under the supervision of a registered dietician. Milk is available upon request.
The Meals on Wheels program is unique to the Loess Hills Chapter in Council Bluffs, IA. Those residing in other Nebraska or in Iowa outside the city of Council Bluffs may contact United Way/211for additional information regarding other agencies that offer assistance with utilities, housing, food, health services, elder care and other human services needs. Dial 402-444-6666 or simply 211.
- Would likely be admitted to a nursing home or assisted living facility if meals were not available
- Recovering following discharge from a hospital or nursing home
- Handicapped, ill and/or unable to prepare meals and has no available assistance with meal preparation or lacks the proper nutritional support from spouse, family or caregivers due to burnout, neglect or abuse.
- Age 60 or older (some meals are available for those under age 60 through a referral from a health care personnel)
- Be willing to admit meal delivery volunteers into their home
- Be able to feed themselves or have arrangements for someone to feed them
- Agree to complete a registration form, which a copy will be forwarded onto Southwest 8 Senior Services, the local office on aging.
- Be willing to contribute what they are able to afford toward the cost of their meals (the suggested contribution price per hot meal is $7.70)
A friendly visit from a Meals on Wheels volunteer may be the only daily social interaction for a homebound elderly, ill or handicapped person. Our volunteers feel a sense of achievement and satisfaction knowing that their work makes a tangible difference in the lives of our clients. Volunteering to deliver Meals on Wheels only takes 90 minutes, from 11:15-12:45. You decide how often you want to deliver and which days, Monday through Saturday.
Volunteers go to Jennie Edmundson Hospital to pick up coolers with the meals inside, follow directions on a delivery route sheet, and return cooler to the Hospital when route completed. It's that simple.
Please call (712) 388-0452 for visit our volunteer page to learn more about how you can help.