pints of blood per year
blood donations are needed daily
blood donors per year in the U.S.
the Red Cross has been collecting & distributing blood
someone in the U.S. needs blood
The Blood Services Advisory Council (BSAC) serves as a critical community champion for the American Red Cross Northern California Coastal Region. Members of the BSAC share their time in service to our mission by providing our organization with their professional expertise; their diverse knowledge of constituent perspectives; their connections to local resources, colleagues or peers; and their philanthropic support.
The mission of the blood services advisory council is to help find creative ways to increase community participation in planning blood drives and educational events to support the lifesaving work of the American Red Cross Blood Services.
Since 1941, the American Red Cross has been collecting & distributing blood to save lives everyday:
- Over 6 million pints of blood distributed per year
- More than 41,000 blood donations are needed daily
- Servicing over 4.5 million blood donors per year in the U.S.
- Every 2 seconds, someone in the U.S. is in need of blood. In the Bay Area, we:
- Collect roughly 100,000 units of blood & partner with 40+ hospitals
- Have 5 blood centers: Contra Costa, Fremont/Newark, Oakland, Pleasanton & San Jose
- Mobilize and advocate for blood services
- Implement quarterly annual blood services awareness event
- Fundraise for blood services needs
- Quarterly meetings and updates on blood services programs, events and initiatives
- Once a year, in person Strategic Planning Meeting held in Q4
- Two year terms, with a maximum of 3 terms
- Learn about blood service programs both nationally and locally
- Identify new potential advisory council members & financial donors
- Advocate for local blood service programs to increase blood collections, especially during times of shortage, during disasters
- Assist with and organize at least two blood drives in your own community per year to educate others on the importance of donating blood
- Support blood services programs with an annual gift to maintain 100% giving participation and raise $2,500