The three Favrile™ windows in the Board of Governors Hall of the American Red Cross National Headquarters building were commissioned from the Tiffany Studios in 1917 as the organization moved into its new building. They depict the theme of ministry to the sick and wounded through sacrifice. Dedicated in 1923, they are reputed to be the largest suite of Tiffany windows created for a secular environment and have remained in place where they can be appreciated in the environment for which they were created. Most Tiffany windows, except for those in churches, have been removed from their original location. The detailed molding within the room was designed to complement the windows and enhance their beauty.
Miss Mabel T. Boardman, a prominent early 20th century leader and secretary of the American Red Cross for many years, suggested the idea for the windows to the Women’s Relief Corps of the North and the United Daughters of the Confederacy, two organizations of Civil War women. Each organization contributed $5,000 and the three windows were created for a total of $10,000. The contributions of these two organizations confirmed the dedication of the building “In Memory of the Heroic Women of the Civil War.”