With subzero temperatures and wind chill advisories in effect for all of south Louisiana, the American Red Cross is making sure people have a place to stay warm.
“We are working with parish officials to manage the warming shelters to ensure people will stay warm and safe during these wintry temperatures,” said Kay W. Wilkins, CEO American Red Cross South Louisiana.
In coordination with parish officials, the Red Cross is managing warming shelters at three Tangipahoa locations.
• West Side Middle School, 401 West Oak Street, Amite, LA 70422
• Hammond Jr. High, 111 J. W. Davis Drive, Hammond, LA 70403
• Kentwood High School, 603 9th Street, Kentwood, LA 70444
Existing warming shelters:
Calcasieu Parish: Purple Heart Memorial Recreation Center, 4305 Avenue H, Lake Charles, LA 70615
St. Tammany Parish: John Slidell Park Gym, 105 Robert Blvd. Slidell, LA 70459
The Red Cross continues coordination with parish officials, emergency managers and state leaders regarding further shelter needs and Red Cross support.
Anyone evacuating to a Red Cross shelter should bring essential items for each member of the family:
• Prescriptions and emergency medications
• Foods that meet unusual dietary requirements
• Extra clothing, pillows, blankets, hygiene supplies and other comfort items
• Supplies needed for children and infants, such as diapers, formula and toys
• Special items for family members who are elderly or disabled
When disaster strikes know when and where shelters have been opened to provide assistance. The Red Cross Shelter Finder is available in the iTunes store and works on iOS devices. The Shelter Finder displays open Red Cross shelters and their current population on an easy to use map interface.
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org or visit us on Twitter at @RedCross.