You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Emergency Shelter Opens for Local Residents After Plant Fire

image
She is my rock and I don’t know what I would do without her.

It was a typical quiet Wednesday morning on December 18th when Annice Wilson (70) and her husband, David (77), were cooking breakfast in their home in Lyles, Tennessee. Suddenly, a neighbor came to the door and alerted them to a massive fire that was burning right down the road at the nearby recycling plant. They left their home quickly with Annice borrowing clothing from a neighbor as she escaped in little more than her nightgown to a nearby public library.

They were later directed to the shelter that had been set up by the Natchez Trace Chapter of the American Red Cross at the Fairfield Church of Christ in Centerville. Annice was met at the shelter by Red Cross volunteer nurse, Sarah Henson, who ensured that she was able to get her diabetes medication immediately.

“The Red Cross has treated us so well and we are so grateful that they were here for us,” said Annice. “We just really appreciate it.”

The Wilsons have been married for 53 years, are life-long residents of Hickman County and have lived in their home for the past 22 years. They are proud parents to two children and grandparents to five grandchildren and four great grandchildren.

“She is my rock and I don’t know what I would do without her,” said David Wilson lovingly about his wife. “When she goes, I told her that I want to go too.”

The Wilsons represent the proud and resilient nature of the Hickman County community residents and the Natchez Trace Chapter is glad to serve them and to ensure that all those who were affected were offered a warm meal, a blanket, emergency medications and a refuge from the smoke and flames of the nearby plant fire. Generous support from volunteers, donors and the local community has helped make this and all of our disaster relief efforts possible every day.

Above Photo: David and Annice Wilson are enjoying some fresh fruit with Red Cross volunteer, Joyce Boyd. The Wilsons stayed at the Fairfield Church of Christ emergency shelter overnight on December 18th after a fire at a nearby recycling plant forced them to evacuate their home.