On November 11, our nation will celebrate Veterans Day to thank and honor those who have served in the military. At the Red Cross, we recognize veterans' contributions each and every day.
The American Red Cross Service to the Armed Forces (SAF) program dates back to the establishment of the American Red Cross by Clara Barton in 1881. Not only did the “Angel of the Battlefield” risk her life tending to soldiers wounded in the Civil War, she bolstered their morale by writing letters for them to send to their families.
Today, Red Cross workers proudly carry on this tradition through the SAF program, which serves as a critical line of communication between the U.S. Armed Forces and their families. If you're interested in volunteering with the Red Cross Los Angeles Region to help veterans, active service members and their families, there are many opportunities. You can:
• distribute comfort items to patients at the West L.A. VA Medical Center
• become a volunteer SAF caseworker,
• become a volunteer videographer to help veterans share their stories for the Veterans History Project,
• distribute information at special outreach events, such as Stand Down events and pre- and post-deployment
• represent the Red Cross at special events, including the upcoming Veterans Day Parade on Nov. 11 at the West LA VA Medical Center
• participate in the Mail for Heroes by sending a message of gratitude and encouragement by buying or making holiday greeting cards for members of the U.S. Armed Forces. Note: the deadline to submit cards is Nov. 25, 2016. Please send to the Red Cross Los Angeles Region, 11355 Ohio Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90025, Attention: Lauren Duncan, Regional Program Manager-SAF.
Read more about these local services and register to become a Red Cross volunteer.
In addition, the Red Cross recently unveiled the new Hero Care mobile application, a free app designed to help members of the military, veterans and their families identify and access both emergency and non-emergency Red Cross services from anywhere in the world. When an emergency happens, accurate information, easy access to services and time are of the essence, especially for military families. That’s why the Red Cross has designed the new Hero Care app — whether you’re the parent of a child joining the military, a military member, a military spouse or a veteran, the Hero Care App will connect you vital services and guide you to valuable resources that will help alleviate stress during emergencies and provide important information right at your fingertips. Content in the Hero Care app is available in both English and Spanish, and the call center is staffed 24/7 with multilingual translation services. The Hero Care App is available to download for free in app stores, by texting ‘GETHEROCARE’ to 90999 or by clicking on the following link from a mobile device http://3cu.be/sharehc.
For additional information about SAF programs, please contact Lauren Duncan at (310) 445-9945 or Lauren.Trosclairdunc@redcross.org