Loos graduated from the University of Buffalo in 1934 with a bachelor's degree in business. Shortly thereafter, she accepted a position with the Greater Buffalo Chapter of the American Red Cross, and for the next 70 years, she would serve the organization as both an employee and volunteer.
Loos first became involved with the Red Cross in 1935, when she was appointed director of “Roll Call,” the fundraising arm of the Red Cross. During World War II, she was instrumental in developing several programs, including the Motor Corps, Dietitian Aids, Staff Aides, Canteen Service, Junior Red Cross and Service to Military Families. Following the Clement family’s donation of their Mansion to the Red Cross in 1941, Loos led the planning and execution of the organization’s move into their stately new headquarters.
While Loos retired in 1972 as Director of Volunteers after 37 years of employment, her service with the Red Cross was far from over. Her years of volunteering were recognized in 1995 when Loos was honored with the Clara Barton Volunteer of the Year Award.
Accolades for Loos’ devotion continued in 1999, as the Chapter dedicated the library in the Clement Mansion-which served as Margaret’s first office in the building-in her name. If ever there was a person who embodies the values and ideals that are the essence of the American Red Cross, it is Margaret C. Loos.
While Loos’ involvement with the Red Cross was extensive, she was also a member of the Zonta Club and found time to volunteer with the United Way and Campfire Girls. It is rare to find an individual whose entire life was spent serving others, whose love for their community and concern for humanity was always at the heart of all their actions. Western New Yorkers have been fortunate recipients of Loos’ good works for 70 years. She will be long remembered for her selfless contributions to these organizations.
A Memorial Service for Margaret C. Loos will be held at 3pm Friday at the Clement Mansion, 786 Delaware Avenue in Buffalo.