The American Red Cross in Western New York has responded to seven separate fires since Saturday, August 30. Volunteers from the Disaster Action Team (DAT) provided immediate emergency assistance to 28 people affected by these incidents.
Red Cross assistance typically includes vouchers for temporary housing, food and/or clothing. The affected families then meet with caseworkers in the days following their respective disasters to work out a longer-term recovery plan, including referrals to other agencies as needed. Specially-trained Disaster Mental Health volunteers are also available to help families deal with the emotional trauma caused by their disaster.
Since Saturday, August 30, 2014, DAT members have responded to the scene of the following incidents in Erie County:
· Saturday, August 30: Busti Avenue, Buffalo (one person assisted)
· Sunday, August 31: Dartmouth Avenue, Buffalo (three people assisted)
· Sunday, August 31: Minnesota Avenue, Buffalo (five people assisted)
· Sunday, August 31: 7th Street, Blasdell (one person assisted)
· Monday, September 1: North Main Street, Albion (nine people assisted)
· Monday, September 1: Remick Parkway, Lockport (six people assisted)
· Tuesday, September 2: Shirley Avenue, Buffalo (three people assisted)
The American Red Cross urges everyone to ensure they have working smoke detectors in their home, plan and practice fire escape routes and put together an emergency preparedness kit. Additional fire safety tips are available at www.redcross.org. To schedule a free NYS Citizen Preparedness Corps disaster preparedness class at a school, business or other organization, please call (716) 878-2238 or email email@example.com.
The American Red Cross in Western New York spends an average of just over $1,000 when responding to a single house fire affecting a family of four. To make a financial donation to help families such as these affected by house fires and other disasters, please visit www.redcross.org, call 1-800-REDCROSS, or text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to charge a $10 donation to your cell phone bill.