Are you one of the millions of people who will hit the road over the long Memorial Day weekend? The American Red Cross wants everyone to have a safe trip and has some travel safety steps everyone can follow to help them enjoy their trip.
DRIVE SAFELY With more people on the roads, it’s important to drive safely. Be well rested and alert, use your seat belts, observe speed limits and follow the rules of the road. If you plan on drinking alcohol, designate a driver who won’t drink.
Other tips for a safe trip include:
1. Give your full attention to the road. Avoid distractions such as cell phones.
2. Use caution in work zones. There are lots of construction projects underway on the highways.
3. Don’t follow other vehicles too closely.
4. Make frequent stops.
5. Clean your vehicle’s lights and windows to help you see, especially at night.
6. Turn your headlights on as dusk approaches, or during inclement weather.
7. Don’t overdrive your headlights.
8. Don’t let your vehicle’s gas tank get too low. If you have car trouble, pull as far as possible off the highway.
9. Carry a Disaster Supplies Kit in your trunk.
10. Let someone know where you are going, your route and when you expect to get there. If your car gets stuck along the way, help can be sent along your predetermined route.
DOWNLOAD THE EMERGENCY APP The Red Cross app “Emergency” can help keep you and your loved ones safe by putting vital information in your hand for more than 35 different severe weather and emergency alerts. You can find it in smartphone app stores by searching for American Red Cross or going to redcross.org/apps.
If you are traveling with your pet, the Red Cross has special advice to make your trip more enjoyable.