The American Red Cross has opened a shelter at the Veteran’s Memorial Building at 511 Second St. in Filmore for those evacuated as a result of the Goodenough Fire. This evacuation center will have snacks and beverages available as well as information updates regarding the fire.
“We urge everyone to follow the advice of their local officials and evacuate immediately if told to do so,” said Ava Voss, emergency services manager, Red Cross of Ventura County.
• Be ready to leave at a moment’s notice.
• Listen to local radio and television stations for updated emergency information.
• Always back your car into the garage or park it in an open space facing the direction of escape.
• Confine pets to one room so that you can find them if you need to evacuate quickly.
• Arrange for temporary housing at a friend or relative’s home outside the threatened area.
REGISTER ON SAFE AND WELL
The Red Cross Safe and Well website is also available. People affected by the fires can access the site and let loved ones know where they are. There are several ways to register on Safe and Well, or search for a loved one. From a computer, visit redcross.org; from a smart phone, visit www.redcross.org/safeandwell.
More information can be found in the Red Cross Wildfire Safety Checklist.
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies more than 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org/santabarbara or join our blog at http://blog.redcross.org