Although this winter has been unseasonably mild for many parts of the country, the weather forecast makes it clear that it’s not spring yet.
A winter storm is predicted to bring snow and ice to portions of the Midwest and South early this week. Temperatures took a frigid turn over the weekend in many parts of the South, leading the American Red Cross to open four shelters in Florida.
Part of being prepared for winter conditions is having emergency supplies ready in your vehicle. If you need to stock up, the Red Cross store has plenty to choose from. Here are a few of our favorites:
The Red Cross Road Torq The Red Cross Road Torq provides a roadside beacon and emergency flashlight when you need it, and it fits right in your glovebox. Features include:
- A self-powered aluminum dynamo hand crank with TurboDyne technology; two minutes cranking yields 15 minutes of flashlight and flashing beacon power
- 1 watt LED spotlight and 3 LED flashing beacon
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery (no additional batteries required)
- Convenient foldable tripod for easy setup and storage
- DC power input (5V)
LED Glowstick The 200-hour* LED Glowstick combines an emergency flasher, flashlight and emergency whistle all in one lightweight, compact device. In addition to keeping one in the car for emergencies, it can also come in handy at home during power outages.
- Glowstick and emergency flasher emit a red light
- Quick and easy transition between lights with the press of a button
- Convenient lanyard for hand-held use
- Batteries are included, and can be replaced
*Light run time varies based on usage and battery conditions.
Three-Day Adult Emergency Preparedness Kit This kit is full of useful items to aid an adult for up three days in the event of an emergency, and includes more than a dozen survival items, including:
- Flashlight (batteries included)
- Radio (batteries included)
- Emergency blanket
- Food bars
- Emergency water
- Work gloves
- Three 12-hour light sticks
All of these supplies are packed in a heavy-duty, portable nylon backpack that can easily be stored in the car, home or at the office.
You can find many more emergency preparedness items, along with books, clothing and gifts, in the Red Cross store. Check it out today!