The American Red Cross will celebrate five inspiring stories of local heroes and commemorate 100 years of Red Cross service in Colorado during the Century of Champions Red Cross Ball on Saturday, March 22.
The sold-out event will feature live musical performances, a 30-minute Heroes award ceremony, opportunities to win a 2-carat diamond or a trip to Monaco, dinner and dancing.
The Century of Champions Red Cross Ball will honor individuals and teams who touched lives during the largest disasters of 2013 as well as everyday heroes who saved lives, including:
• The brigade of Army aviators who flew daring rescue missions to help evacuate more than 1,000 people during September’s floods – and who also saved lives during the Black Forest fire by aiding with fire suppression and volunteering their time with the Red Cross.
• An everyday financial worker who saved not one but two lives when he leapt into action to perform CPR on a pregnant coworker who stopped breathing.
• An 18-year-old who found himself amidst the utter destruction wreaked by a typhoon in the Philippines, and who issued a plea for help for the people of Tacloban.
• Four individuals whose combined efforts before, during and after the 2013 floods saved countless lives in the town of Lyons.
• The Littleton Public Schools Security & Emergency Planning team that serves as a shining role model of preparedness for all types of emergencies, from medical emergencies to disasters.
The Century of Champions Red Cross Ball is the American Red Cross Mile High Chapter’s largest fundraiser of the year; all proceeds support local Red Cross services, including disaster response, community preparedness, support for local military and their families, and lifesaving skills training and resources.
This year, in honor of the 100th Anniversary of Red Cross service in Colorado, the Mile High Chapter is hosting a very special gala event in place of the annual Breakfast of Champions event. The Ball sold out early, and attendees will include representatives from Colorado’s business, governmental and society elite as well as “Everyday Heroes” sponsored by The Daniels Fund.
The American Red Cross of Colorado will be celebrating a Century of service all year in 2014 through a variety of events and campaigns that aim to honor the contributions of the Red Cross and its volunteers and build the foundation for another 100 years of service in Colorado. Ten Colorado organizations have already stepped up to help ensure a sustainable, long-term future for Red Cross service in Colorado by committing to support the Red Cross as Century Sponsors. The Red Cross of Colorado would like to extend its gratitude to these Century Sponsors, including: Noble Energy, Western Union Foundation, Ball Corporation, Kaiser Permanente, Newmont Mining, PCL Construction, Suncor Energy, Vail Resort, Whiting Petroleum and XTO Energy.
Find out more at www.redcross.org/colorado-100.