More than 1,100 of Colorado’s most influential residents and business leaders helped the American Red Cross celebrate a century of service in Colorado by attending the Century of Champions Red Cross Ball on March 22.
The event raised more than $710,000 for the Red Cross of Colorado, including just over $150,000 in day-of donations. All proceeds will support the lifesaving work of the Red Cross in Colorado – helping to ensure the nonprofit can continue to serve the residents of Colorado for another 100 years.
“We wanted to provide guests with a once-in-a-lifetime experience to commemorate a once-in-a-century milestone for the Red Cross, and I believe we accomplished that goal,” said Gino Greco, CEO of the American Red Cross of Colorado.
In addition to a cocktail hour, dinner, dessert and dancing, the Century of Champions Ball featured a ceremony honoring heroes who touched lives last year, including:
• The 4th Combat Aviation Brigade members who flew daring rescue missions to help evacuate more than 1,000 people during September’s floods – and who also saved lives during the Black Forest fire by aiding with fire suppression and volunteering their time with the Red Cross.
• Doug Schellinger, an everyday financial worker who saved not one but two lives when he leapt into action to perform CPR on a pregnant coworker who stopped breathing.
• 18-year-old Simon Kurzban, who found himself amidst the utter destruction wreaked by a typhoon in the Philippines, and who issued a plea for help for the people of Tacloban.
• Four individuals whose combined efforts before, during and after the 2013 floods saved countless lives in the town of Lyons.
• The Littleton Public Schools Security & Emergency Planning team that serves as a shining role model of preparedness for all types of emergencies, from medical emergencies to disasters.
Read more about the heroes on our blog: http://www.coloradoredcross.blogspot.com.
The Ball was part of a year-long celebration of the 100-year anniversary of Red Cross service in Colorado. Tisha and Brian Schuller served as chairs of the ball. The Red Cross of Colorado will be celebrating its Century of service through a variety of events and campaigns that aim to honor the contributions of the Red Cross and its volunteers and build the foundation for another 100 years of service in Colorado. Don and Linda Childears are serving as chairs of the Century Celebration.
Ten Colorado organizations have already stepped up to help ensure a sustainable, long-term future for Red Cross service in Colorado by committing to support the Red Cross as Century Sponsors. The Red Cross of Colorado would like to extend its gratitude to these Century Sponsors, including: Noble Energy, Western Union Foundation, Ball Corporation, Kaiser Permanente, Newmont Mining, PCL Construction, Suncor Energy, Vail Resort, Whiting Petroleum and XTO Energy.
Find out more at www.redcross.org/colorado-100.