MANCHESTER, CONN., September 11, 2014 – The American Red Cross responded to a fire today on Chestnut Street in Manchester. Residents of 50 units in an apartment complex were displaced by the early morning fire.
Working with the Town of Manchester, the Red Cross opened a shelter at the Manchester Senior Center where displaced residents could come for rest and food. Red Cross volunteers also remained at the scene of the fire to assist residents who remained nearby.
The Red Cross worked with residents throughout the day to assess their needs. By late afternoon, many residents were able to return to undamaged units or make other arrangements for housing for the night. The shelter is now closed. The Red Cross assisted 12 people in 10 units with emergency needs.
One adult received help with housing, food and clothing needs.
Six adults received help with food and clothing needs.
Two adults received help with housing and food needs.
Three adults received help with food needs.
Red Cross team members Jon Basso, Pat Jeram, Bob Jeram, Anne Marie Braun, Teryn Libby, Memo Alejandro, Larry Berman, Jim Roscoe, Rebecca Johnson, Angela Phelan Pat Welch, Rick Knight, Maureen Gaherty, Carol DeRoehn, Joyce Godin, Deb Sullivan, Gladys Kielb, Harvey Harpin, Dave Kemp, Eloise Bennett and Betty Stephenson responded to assist the residents. The Red Cross responded at approximately 2:00 a.m. and was on the scene until nearly 7:00 p.m.
American Red Cross Senior Director of Disaster Services Rebecca Johnson praised the volunteers for their hard work and thanked town personnel for their help. “Our team put in many hours to help the residents of this complex. We had great support and cooperation from the Town of Manchester, which provided significant help to residents today.”
The Red Cross also provided comfort kits containing personal care items such as toothbrushes, deodorant, shaving supplies and other items residents might not have been able to gather in the rush to escape the fire.