You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

The Red Cross brings aid to a Christmas house fire

The Red Cross brings aid to a Christmas house fire
Jessie was astounded at how amazing the support was from the Red Cross volunteers.

At 12:30 on Christmas morning an electrical fire started at the house Jessie and Brett Gebhart were renting with their family. Through the course of the morning, their house burned to the ground, though the family evacuated safely with most of their animals.

Volunteers arrived to the scene and worked with the family to ensure their safety and wellbeing throughout the day. The family was able to buy the essentials they needed, including medicine, and the Red Cross put the family up in a hotel for the next three days.

Because the Gebharts have a large number of pets and farm animals, they had trouble finding a new rental home. They ended up living in a hotel for eight weeks, and during that time they received a surprise visit from one of the volunteers they met at the fire and his daughter. During the three weeks after the fire the volunteer’s daughter had gathered games and clothes donated from her friends to bring to the Gebharts’ daughters.

Jessie was astounded at how amazing the support was from the Red Cross volunteers and appreciated how the volunteers, and even their loved ones, went above and beyond to offer relief to the Gebharts.