You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Red Cross responds to Eagle retirement community fire

Red Cross responds to Eagle retirement community fire
Five Red Cross volunteers and two staff members handed out pillows, blankets, comfort kits, snacks and beverages.

The American Red Cross of Greater Idaho responded late Saturday to a fire at a retirement community on the 500 block of North Eagle Road. Residents of the community were evacuated and, at about 11:45 p.m., the Red Cross was asked to open a temporary shelter at nearby Eagle Elementary School.

About 24 residents took advantage of the shelter while they waited for information on when they could return to their apartments. Some residents napped on cots, while others chatted or walked pets around the school grounds. Five Red Cross volunteers and two staff members handed out pillows, blankets, comfort kits, snacks and beverages. A nurse from Red Cross Disaster Health Services was also on hand to tend to the medical needs of shelter guests.

After about two hours at the shelter, the residents were allowed to return to their apartments. The occupants of three units that sustained substantial fire damage were put up in a hotel by the retirement community’s management.