Send Support. Send Thanks.
This season, help us spread holiday cheer by sending a card to our service members, veterans and military families through our Holidays for Heroes program.
This year, we’re continuing to accept cards that will be distributed to service members and families near and far. We are now accepting large banners as well. These can be a great option for large groups wanting to send thanks.
Card and banner making is fun and easy. Families, schools, libraries and more have all participated in the past and continue to do so today. Other ideas include hosting card and banner making events with friends, neighbors, or colleagues.
Completed cards and banners can be mailed to or delivered to the American Red Cross of San Diego/Imperial Counties at 3950 Calle Fortunada, San Diego, CA, 92123. Cards/banners are due no later than December 5, 2017.
- Ensure all cards are signed and please provide cards without envelopes, or in unsealed envelopes.
- Use generic salutations such as “Dear Service Member”, “Dear Veteran”, or “Dear Military Family” and write your best wishes for the holidays and a heartfelt thank you for their service. Make it in your own words – it means a lot.
- Do not include email or home addresses on the cards: the program is not meant to foster pen pal relationships.
- Please refrain from choosing cards with glitter or using loose glitter as it can aggravate health issues of ill and injured warriors.
- Cards can be purchased or homemade. Card making parties are a lot of fun!
- Banners should be sturdy enough to be shipped overseas and large enough to be viewed when hung on a wall.
- Your banner should include your main message to either Veterans or Service Members, and then be filled up with individual messages of best wishes from your members or employees – the more the better!
- Banners will be rolled up for shipment, so please- no posters or laminated banners.
- Completed cards and banners can be sent to or delivered to the American Red Cross of San Diego/Imperial Counties at 3950 Calle Fortunada, San Diego, CA, 92123.
- Cards/banners are due no later than December 5, 2017.
- Cards and banners will be delivered to military units, family groups, military and veteran hospitals, and veteran organizations throughout the San Diego region. Some banners will be delivered to overseas installations and Red Cross stations.
Thank you for your service to those who serve us and taking part in Holidays for Heroes!