1. Purpose: To set forth procedures governing the Schofield Barracks Dental Clinic Red Cross Volunteer Dental Assistant Training program under the command of USA Dental Activity- Hawaii. This program is to provide those Volunteers accepted into the program with comprehensive training and knowledge needed to assist competently in many fields of dentistry and able to compete successfully for employment in the dental assisting profession.
2. Applicability: This memorandum is applicable to all personnel volunteering at Schofield Barracks Dental Clinic under the command of DENTAC - Hawaii in the Red Cross Dental Assisting Program.
3. Background: The dental program is co-sponsored by the Pacific Regional Dental Command, the United States Army Dental Activity Hawaii and the American Red Cross (further referred to as Red Cross). Instructors are identified as the dental clinic staff. This training program involves challenging concepts and practical techniques. It will require regular study for successful completion of the course.
4. Length of Appointment: 6 Months
5. Time Commitment: The programs consist of 1000 total hours at 40 hours per week 7:15 am to 4:15 pm, Monday through Friday.
6. Qualifications: Applicant must:
1. Be at least 18 years old.
2. Possess a valid military ID card and enrolled in TRICARE
3. Be fluent in English i.e. able to speak, read and write the English language quickly and easily
4. Secure adequate childcare-Red Cross does not offer a childcare program
5. Obtain American Red Cross CPR certification before the start of the program (Free to all Dental Students)
6. Commit to an additional 50 hours of Red Cross Volunteer service at the Schofield Barracks Clinic
Application Period: July 3rd thru August 10th
1. Volunteer Dental Assistant Program Application
2. Copy of High School Diploma or GED
3. Personal Essay on one of the following topics:
4. Three letters of Recommendation
5. In-person interview with Dental Program Leadership & Red Cross Manager
Point of Contact: Yolanda M. Gainwell @ 433-6631 or 655-4927 email@example.com.